Disability or Working

I’ve been on disability due to Schizo affective disorder for the past 5 years. I tried working, but it became too difficult. Are you on disability or working? How does it work for you?

3 Likes

I am on disability and work part time. It’s actually getting tough now cos of me wanting to nap but having to wake up. I’ll see how it goes. Good on you for trying out the working.

2 Likes

I am doing the same as @anon90843118. I get benefits then work part-time. I end up getting more money than I would do working a minimum wage job and I am saving like £700 a month so I have enough money. It is not too stressful either.

6 Likes

I’m on disability but do some volunteer work. I love my life. I am able to live as large as I can and have a good time. I live with my father. My mother recently passed so we are making ends meet. It’s a bit of work but it’s like everything.

Give yourself something to get up too. I get up at 5am everyday pretty much. The alarm is set for that and I’m often up early. I exercise a lot. That helps the mind and health. I have tried working too but stress makes me paranoid and that isn’t worth it.

I like my life!

8 Likes

Im on disability im going to try do some voluntary work.

5 Likes

I’m on disability, even if I could work my options are zero because I moved to Portugal and I do t speak the language. My wife works, I stay home. I have a 1 year old too

6 Likes

Who pays for your disability? USA or Portugal?

1 Like

USA does, but I get Portugese healthcare

5 Likes

Ah, that’s great. I think portuguese disability is only 400 euros a month. Atleast that’s what my neighbor told me

1 Like

Yeah I get about $2500 usd/ month

3 Likes

I work full time, although having said that i’ve just organised to take a week off because i need to stop. Things were getting a little over whelming, and plus it’s been a while since i’ve had a holiday. I put a lot of effort into my job, so after work i often feel drained. However, i plan on working for as long as i can. Disability support here in Australia isn’t that great. It pretty well much puts you in poverty. If i want to travel to different places around the world, then i’m gonna have to work for it.

3 Likes

I’d rather work because being a part of the workforce contributes to a country’s GDP, lowers the unemployment rate and of course higher income than disability income. However, disability income is a backup for those who aren’t able to sustain employment.

2 Likes

I work, dont like it. But guess I have to.

2 Likes

Neither, I’m with my parents. but I plan on working and not needing disability.

5 Likes

Fuccking hell that’s a lot of money for disability !!

4 Likes

I have gone back to work. Am going to lose my SSDI but I haven’t reported going back to work yet.

1 Like

I currently work. But it’s very difficult for me. IDK how much longer I’ll be able to work but I’m trying my best.

8 Likes

I don’t work but wish I could. I help my dad around the farm though. I own the mobile home that I live in. I had a good job before

3 Likes

Not worked since i was about 19-20 years old. And now all of a sudden im 44! Honestly wish i could - but its a full time job managing my head, and trying to respond appropriately. AND ITS HARD.

So no - ive officially retired.

3 Likes

I’m disabled and not working. So is my husband. Money is a real problem for us. We never have enough. But our relationship is strong and we don’t fight about money so that’s good :slight_smile:

5 Likes