Did the selfie thread get outlawed?

What be this lack of selfie thread yo

Doubt it’s outlawed, I’m not that lucky!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s not as popular as it once was.

I remember one time someone posted in the selfie thread: “I don’t know why you guys are posting selfies. You all look terrible.” :rofl::joy::rofl:

5 Likes

Yes. It was outlawed. If anyone violates this decree the courts will impose heavy fines and possible imprisonment up to 7 years.

Posting selfies is not a victimless crime.

:innocent:

12 Likes

Yeah, but they make exceptions for people with large body parts.

2 Likes

Good thing my forehead is big enough to be classified as a small planet :joy:

3 Likes

That’s cool, Steven Hawking would have been proud of you.

2 Likes

It’s a weird thing the selfie thread. It’s great for people like me who like to put faces to posters. That really makes it good for someone like me who knows faces first and names second in the real life.

Still. Many people post selfies who don’t post regular. I find that strange but I think that is empowering for some and a worthwhile effort. I think that can get creepy if people ogle about others. Yeah your pretty or handsome or sexy…that isn’t so positive in an inclusive community but people are people.

I think it’s here to stay which is a good thing for old peeps like me!

5 Likes

I agree - i associate faces befoe names first. But yeah - ive seen a few creepy comments about females pictures - and pull a face too when i read them.

It just makes it more personal and freindly when you know what they look like.

3 Likes

Cool :sunglasses: I have huge hands, so as long as they’re attached to my wrists, I can post!

1 Like

Not trying to start a fight, but what if you occassionally tell people they look nice?
I mean that literally.

Is that kind of ambiguous?

1 Like

I like posting a selfie occasionally, i hate pictures of myself, and don’t have good image of myself physically.

Therapist and I came up with trying to put myself out there. A little exposure therapy.

Everyone’s always been kind to my selfies, but I can understand some of the girls feeling creeped on, there are creepers.

I don’t think it should be outlawed, I like outing a face to people, makes them seem more human, not just a faceless screen name

None of us outlawed it. Maybe one got closed and nobody started the sequel?

I personally don’t think it’s a good idea to be posting selfies on a publicly searchable forum for the most stigmatized illness in the world, and will keep reminding folks to be safe. But it’s a free internet, and if you guys wish to show the world what you look like, that’s your business.

2 Likes

I don’t like showing myself what I look like because if someone recognises me and I don’t know they recognise me it’s stressful.

1 Like

Okay guys, after reviewing this, I figured out what happened. The original poster of the new selfie thread flagged their photo to be deleted. When the original post of a topic is deleted, it deletes the entire topic. Sooooo someone can start a new selfie thread if they want.

8 Likes

I used to post the occasional selfie on the forum, but I haven’t done that in a while. I’m just paranoid, I guess, but I worry about a student of mine, be it a past/current/future student, finding my pic on here.

I don’t bother looking at the selfie thread much anymore, as so many of the selfies are from posters I’ve never heard of anyway, lurkers I suppose.

And yeah, I’ve seen guys on here creeping in ways that I totally understand making women here more reluctant to share their photos.

For me, though, it’s because of what I do for a living.

Hell, as much as I like sharing pics of my tattoos, I’m starting to wonder if I should do that anymore, now that I know that searching Google images for “schizophrenia tattoo” will bring up some of my tattoo pics. Those pics come up near the top of the results, too, though at least they don’t show my face.

2 Likes

I am pretty paranoid but I post a photo every now and again but I always delete them a day or two later. I don’t leave them up for long. Don’t want me to start the thread for sure.

2 Likes

Here’s the selfie thread that I created, that was abandoned cuz someone created one without searching first.

ahem @anon12381882 ahem

https://forum.schizophrenia.com/t/post-a-selfie-another-round/177702

1 Like

I may have joked about posting selfies,but I don’t think being reluctant to post one is in itself an indicator of paranoia. I myself wouldn’t like to be recognized by more people as a schizophrenic than already know.

1 Like