Important update to forum rules. Please read

Hi everyone. We need to address a situation that occurred which has a significant impact on the way you may participate here.

A member shared the selfie and screen name of another member to a site outside of our jurisdiction. This is unacceptable. To combat this we have instituted a new rule.

Any member that is reported and confirmed sharing personal information of members offsite will receive an automatic 6 month ban from this site.

We ask that everyone consider that we are unable to police the internet and think twice before uploading selfies. We have no way of making shared photos safe and cannot control the actions of unscrupulous people.

If you have selfies here you want deleted, please flag them for deletion. We are happy to remove.

29 Likes

Has the person been notified ?

2 Likes

Yes. If that happens we will notify as soon as we know and recommend a screen name change.

This just confirms the need for anonymity here.

4 Likes

can you delete my selfies please

Just flagged a bunch of mine. I post to many selfies :expressionless::joy:

3 Likes

How can a selfie put me into a negative light ? Its still anonymous and its a sz website. How bad can it get ?

It might not be bad. But we share here with confidence in each other not to take each other’s posts without permission and share them elsewhere. I’d be mortified if this happened to me

2 Likes

That’s why I don’t post pictures of myself, also my family will kill me if they find out.

3 Likes

i looked at my badges and a lot of my selfies can be found using the 10 likes badge thats how i found all of mine, most selfies get over 10 likes usually and its recorded in badges, so just flagged them all for deletion

1 Like

It’s an invasion of privacy. Some people would be very upset with their photo and screen name shared elsewhere for anyone to see and follow them back here.

3 Likes

Bumping to keep on top. Please read!

Oh, this happened with me. Not a photo, but my participation here under a recognizable profile was used against me in a real-world dispute with my kid’s teacher. I’m more relaxed about sharing who I am now, but I would definitely agree that people should be careful and have the right to their participation here being protected. Don’t post your personal stuff unless you’re prepared to take a hit is my advice.

3 Likes

Exactly.

You never know who will use your words here against you. And some of us don’t want our faces recognized.

For me it isn’t a huge deal because I’m open about my struggles on FB with my friends. My boss also knows I moderate a sz forum and that I’m sza. Not everyone is so fortunate to have supportive friends and family.

This should be a safe place. This new rule is hopefully going to help keep it that way.

If I had my way, there’d be no selfie thread.

3 Likes

It’s still possible to snapshot. I wasn’t worried my stuff gets around, now i am. Because of lack of my intelligence I don’t know what’s the fuzz about. What about memes. They can land on social media as well. You got me worried, its anonymous. I was reluctant to make a selfie in the first place. I am getting paranoid, that’s all.

1 Like

Memes won’t lead back to who you are.

It’s just a matter of privacy. Don’t post selfies or information that can identify you, like sometimes we have people use their real name as their screen name. We always ask them to change it.

Don’t share your address, your picture, and full name.

We suspended the member that did it and reported the offending online post they made to that site’s admins.

1 Like

@anon4362788 is it a bad idea to say what city and state you live in on this forum?

@anon54988740 yes. Any identifying info besides country and maybe time zone is dangerous.

2 Likes

I’m feeling less safe on here now

1 Like

I think my brother is reading some of my posts

As long as you don’t use your name as your screen name, don’t post pictures of your face or house with address, and don’t share your address of home or work you’ll be fine.

This is just normal precautions for being on the internet.

While the incident was unfortunate and disturbing, think how long this site has been up and with only one incident like this.

I doubt your brother can identify you at all on here @Wave. Unless you left the site open in front of him with your account open. If not, as long as you’ve not shared any identifying personal info, he can’t figure out who you are.

2 Likes