Did/does abilify/aripiprazole affect your ability to regularly exercise?

As above. Did it reduce your ability to regularly exercise? Did it make you feel weaker less motivated? Like you can’t endure the exercise? Etc.
And if it didn’t, I’d be interested to know as well.
And at what dosage were you on?
Thank you!

It didnt make me gain weight. And it didnt affect my ability to exercise (i still dont exercise :stuck_out_tongue:)

3 Likes

It never had that effect on me. Abilify is the one AP I’ve been on that’s effective for me without causing me side effects.

2 Likes

I cant say it has for me. Mostly its a tidal wave of lack of motivation widening me. Ofc i take my-pdoc-is-an-optimist miniscule 5mg doses. Id like to hear from someone on 10 or 15 cause im needing something more but afraid itll make my vocal tic worse/ i think it caused it. Idk sorry

1 Like

I didn’t get any vocal tics myself and my highest dose was 15mg . But it did make me feel unmotivated unless that was just from the psychosis itself or something.

I just had surgery I’ve been itching to get back in gym I cant wait but for right now I cant fo nothing but sit at home it sucks. Bored out my mind is not the word. As far as side affects just movement problems and ticks but definently wouldnt change. It’s a good medicine in my book.

1 Like

I am able to life weights and do cardiovascular exercise almost daily even though I get injected with 400mg of Abilify every 2 weeks. The only side effect from the Abilify Injection that I believe is being unable to sleep a straight 8 hours but I could be wrong about this side effect. As for motivation and enduring the exercise, you just have to be committed and put the effort in.

Here’s a record of my shoulder workout I did today and since the new year.

3 Likes

Do u listen to music whilst jogging? I can’t jog without music. Well maybe I can but not easy to imagine

1 Like

Yes, listening to music while lifting weights or doing cardio is a must or else the activity would get too boring.

1 Like

I still exercise, well more like began exercising since starting Abilify.

I alternate jogging days with listening to music and without music.

1 Like

I have not exercised for years so cannot help you with that one. I guess I have been walking around more lately, but thats mainly because my drivers license has been taken off me. ■■■■■■■ Bastards.

2 Likes

Yes it affects my ability to exercise.
I take 10mgr a day against paranoid schizophrenia.

I do 2 times a week swimming and 2-3 times jogging.
(Always ~ 90mins)

Before abilify (2 years ago) i run 1 km in 6-7 min and i swam 50m in 45-50sec.

Now a run a km in 8:30 to 9:30 min and i swim 50m in 60-65 sec.

While running i have problems to raise my legs well … with abilify there is something …

2 Likes

You do a hell of a lot of physical activities that’s nice.
Welcome to the forum.
I wish I could run properly but I can’t.
It is abilify that is why.

I take 15mg and noticed the motivation problem creeping back in about 1 month after taking it. I have managed to do a bike ride in that time,but most of the time leaving the house is a struggle.

1 Like

when i was on abilify i literally could not leave my house. I was so depressed for some reason that i would walk like 2 minutes away and have to walk back for some reason. Part of the reason i stopped taking meds personally.

1 Like

I know the feeling on 15 mg I would travel and half way to where I was going I felt like either returning home or just slumping myself on the sidewalk.

1 Like

dang…yea its difficult