Anyone else feel a bit achy and stiff with aripiprazole (abilify)?

I’ve only been taking Aripirazole for a few weeks, now on 10mg per day. I was getting horrible inner tension the first while but I feel like this is gradually easing, diazepam helps too.

I feel a bit achy all over though, not too painfully so, just mild to moderately stiff/achy muscles and joints, especially my knees. Just wondered if anyone else has had this, if this could be a side effect of the meds?

1 Like

Ever hope ful @everhopeful might know it.

1 Like

I did too at first. I went so far as to buy a groupon for a massage. But now after a month on abilify I’m feeling less sore and achy. Except on the days when I get about 5-6 hours of sleep, those days I can barely move for a while in the morning. Saving the massage now as a reward for something.

1 Like

I feel achy when I take any of the antipsychotics, typical or atypical, especially when I work out, no matter how easy I go at it. I’ve found that taking aspirin helps a lot with the achyness. I think AP’s tend to inflame my joints when I do exercise, and aspirin alleviates that. You might want to go easy on the aspiring, though. Aspirin can make your stomach bleed.

1 Like

not at all makes me sleep excessively though

1 Like

Ah ok, I’m not the only one then. I’ve had akithisia and other side effects from APs in the past but never this general achiness. I’ve just been stretching and having hot baths, hopefully this will wear off over time then.

Has the opposite effect on me, it’s the only AP I’ve ever taken that doesn’t knock me out. How strange the way one drug can effect people so differently.

I take Abilify 30mg and don’t have this problem. Maybe it will go away after you’ve taken it a little longer and your body gets used to it.Hope so anyways. If not, talk to your pdoc. Best wishes.

1 Like