Did anyone switch from Abilify to Rexulti?

Every so often I get tempted by Rexulti. But generally speaking I’m afraid to change as Abilify has kept me stable for years.

Has anyone switched from Abilify to Rexulti? What was your experience?

4 Likes

I have taken both but years apart from one another. Abilify worked for me back then (2007-08) almost immediately but gave me bad akathisia. I was on a much lower dose in late 2019-2020 and my pdoc said it worked but I got the dysphoric anxiety feeling (mild akathisia?) and I gained 10 lbs in 12 weeks, then another 5 over the next few months. I have been on Rexulti from late December through now from 1-3mg and it wasn’t cutting the mustard. I would consider why you are thinking about switching? Are you gaining too much weight? Akathisia? I didn’t have akathisia at all on Rexulti and it seemed like I lost a few pounds. I know they are supposed to be very similar but Rexulti seemed a lot milder to me and like completely different meds so I am being switched to Latuda (tapering up while down on Rexulti). YMMV but is it worth the risk? It might work perfectly for you, it might not. Maybe my brain chemistry changed and Abilify won;t work either now?

1 Like

Thanks @KevW . It’s mainly the anxiety that makes me want to switch. But you’re right, I’m not sure that it’s worth the risk.

2 Likes

I did! I love Rexulti. It works much better at a much lower dose, with less side effects

2 Likes

I get dysphoric anxiety or severe akathisia from all APs except Rexulti. It’s a shame it didn’t work better for me. Anxiety is a really good reason to want to switch though. All the pdocs that I have seen acted like they never heard of that as a side effect when I complained about it. It seems to have worked for @anon2818416 so I would just weigh out the options and talk with your pdoc about it. It is very slow to work (a little after a week or 2 then more after 6 weeks), unlike Abilify which worked a lot quicker. I’m guessing it is pretty slow to work for most people so something else to consider. It did work some but not well enough for my pdoc to keep me on it or try 4mg.

2 Likes

I was told that it doesn’t help with manic symptoms and that it wouldnt be a good fit because of that However it might help you idk :man_shrugging: it’s trial and error

1 Like