Did anyone “predict” they would become schizophrenic?

I was always scared of going “crazy” or becoming schizophrenic, since I was a young teenager. I always felt like I was different, but I also had severe childhood trauma. Did anyone else fear going “crazy”?

6 Likes

I definitely detected early signs of psychosis. Took until a full blown psychotic break until I got the help I needed

6 Likes

I didnt have a clue. I thought i was very healthy and enlightened and everyone else was oppressed.

I had no insight for about 8 to 10 months before i realized it was mental illness. Even when someone told me i was having bipolar symptoms (i was jesus) and behaving extremely erratic, I still thought it was just some religious stuff going on.

Later i stumbled upon reading about schozophrenia and i wondered if i maybe had something like that. Still had more episodes before i got diagnosed. And when i went to get diagnosed i didnt tell them about hearing voices or seeing stuff.

Got a proper diagnosis about 6 years after that.
Bipolar mix type with psychosis was the diagnosis

3 Likes

Well, I was told when I was younger that my uncle had schizophrenia so I could possibly get it… but I never bothered googling schizophrenia or anything, I just knew it meant “crazy”

I later told someone I could possibly get it… then a couple or few years later I did get it

5 Likes

I expected my adulthood to suck as much as my childhood. Pleasantly surprised that it worked out okay. Wasn’t expecting any specific illness other than what I was born with, and it was supposed to have killed me by now.

4 Likes

it was like the weirdest thing…about three days before I went full on schizophrenic episode I said out loud to myself…“thank you God for not making me schizophrenic.”…and three days later it happened…I didn’t know it at the time…pieces just started coming together in my mind, and I built a belief system quite quickly.

5 Likes

Yea i knew several years before my first hallucinations that i was schizophrenic.

3 Likes

Lol sorry your name reminded me of this

3 Likes

I barely even knew what psychosis was, except for having watched a beautiful mind.

But even then, it didn’t really register much with me.

When I became psychotic I still didn’t know.

I just thought I was spiritually enlightened for messianic figures who had passed, to be speaking to me.

9 Likes

I was in denial that I was schizophrenic for a couple years after I started hearing things.

3 Likes

No but i guarantee with my drug use the people around me knew something was gonna give

3 Likes

I feared sanity more.

3 Likes

Brilliant 151515

1 Like

I didnt have a fear of going crazy but i do remember the day i finished highschool…i remember saying to myself ‘im bound to have problems’

3 Likes

Nope. I thought mental illnesses were something that happened to others. I was somehow inherently immune to it. Little did I know of family history of it.

3 Likes

I felt different from other people emotionally. More sensitive, more aware of other people’s expressions/tone of voice etc. I knew something was wrong with me long before I had critical issues function mid psychosis.

I also had an experience where I was cheated on by my close friend when I was like 14 and I remember hearing the sound of their voices (no words) in my room one time when I was upset about it.

3 Likes

To be honest, it shocked me. Never in a million years did I picture myself developing schizophrenia. But then with a head injury, Anything is Possible

4 Likes

i remember saying i might be bipolar to a friend once when i was a kid. now i got dxed sza. im still not sure about the bipolar part tho because i mainly only experience depression

6 Likes

In the brief days of clarity i had, in all the years i was delusional and psychotic - i sorta knew i had schizophrenia. You tend to connect the dots when you go online and read the symptoms. I think i knew a couple of years beforehand.

4 Likes

I suspected that I might be on the schizophrenia spectrum because I noticed my negative symptoms early on, but I wasn’t aware of how delusional I truly was back then. Then my first hallucination happened, then I promptly told my father the next morning and we set up a appointment to see a therapist. One thing led to another, and, lo and behold, I got diagnosed about three months after.

3 Likes