When did you find out you where schizophrenic?

I’m curious to know what other peoples are… And how they differ from me.

3 Likes

The beginning of 2016 I had a psychotic episode, and then I had another in May (and was hearing voices in between as well as other hallucinations) but I didn’t accept that I was schizophrenic until May of 2016.

1 Like

I had increasing symptoms thru most of 2016 until fall when I finally informed my psych that I was paranoid aliens were watching me and was hallucinating. She didn’t even name schizophrenia, but immediately started me on Abilify. Then at the beginning of this year right before i turned 18, I went to this clinic to get an affirmation of my ASD diagnosis for insurance purposes, and he informed me that he also thinks im schizophrenic, and later asked my doctor about it and she said it was accurate and just didn’t wanna slap me with that label because of my age.

1 Like

I found out december of 2014. I came home for Christmas holiday from university. And parents knew instantly I wasn’t right. I barely slept, ate and wouldn’t accept it until I snapped out of my delusional state. I still won’t accept that my it was instigated by stress

1 Like

I found out this year.

1 Like

Here for you… If you need support… I found it hard and still do

Summer 2015 for reao, but I heard voices and was paranoid in a psychotic episode in summer 2013

1 Like

I knew I had schizophrenia in 1992 and was diagnosed over a year later. I was not surprised by the diagnosis when they gave it because I had a schizophrenic Uncle and pretty much knew that’s what it was. The problem I had was knowing why there were voices in my head and what they were which I still find myself occasionally struggling with to this day. I was 23 when the symptoms became obvious but the prodomal phase lasted a long time.

1 Like

I knew deep down that I was sz when I became symptomatic, I mean really symptomatic at the age of 23. But, I didn’t get officially diagnosed with sza until I was 34 years old. I hid it well. And I had good reasons for hiding it. I had a professional career to protect. But, I was in and out of the hospital throughout my career.

2 Likes

I had symptoms when I was 21. I didn’t get diagnosed until I was 23.

3 Likes

November 2015 I was involuntarily admitted to hospital. They ambushed me at my house and brought me to hospital where upon I was interviewed by two psychiatrists who subsequently diagnosed me. So it has been really a year and a half. It will be two years this November. I was unwell for three years from the age of 23 to 26. Diagnosed when I was turning 27. I am 28 now…

1 Like

I had cognitive difficulties at the age of 8, 9, and 10 already knowing I had something. I found out what trhat something was when they called me and my mom to come to the unit and tell me I had schizophrenia. I was 21. Still young. I was relieved but confused at first because I didn’t know much about Schizophrenia, other than what impairments I faced. So ye

1 Like

I kind of suspected something might be wrong with me when they stuck me in a group home for schizophrenics for a year.when I was 19. I thought I was alright at the time but I can take a hint.

3 Likes

Full blown psychosis at 29. In the doctors office after three weeks on medications. What is it I asked…Schizophrenia?

I knew nothing about it. Really thought I was developing multiple personalities…I always was mainstream!

1 Like

In 1997 I was officially Dx’d at age 32.

1 Like

2011 officially diagnosed. i knew i was different long before then. i was very psychotic, but somehow functional.

1 Like

Sup koala …i had my psychotic break at 18 got diagnosed after 10 years…

1 Like

I was 30 years old when I first had a manic episode. It was great. Then I got depressed. Then I started hearing voices.

1 Like

Sometime in the spring of 2012 I accepted it although I was diagnosed July of 2010. It wasn’t til January of 2014 I finally figured I needed to be on meds though.

1 Like

I began having unusual beliefs at age 11, and started hearing voices at 14. I didn’t think anything of it, because my brothers were also delusional and hearing voices. So I thought it was a totally normal thing that everyone goes through. I finally sought treatment at age 24, because my flat affect had gotten so bad I finally knew something was wrong. I’m 28 now, and in recovery!

2 Likes