Did anyone figure out yet why Clozapine is the most effective?

Did anyone figure out yet why Clozapine is the most effective eventhough it blocks D2 dopamine receptors the least? I wonder if its GABA and other receptors actions have an effect on dopamine function. One pdoc believed Clozapine is best for negative symptoms as it blocks the least dopamine but my other pdoc believed the opposite.

I guess pdocs themeselves are confused about Clozapine and have different opinions on it.

I think I read clozapine blocks D4

1 Like

Not my area of expertise. I can answer questions about overland water coverage on your commercial insurance policy.

3 Likes

Interesting, yes it blocks d4 just googled. They said they are failing at making d4 antagonists in labs similar to Clozapine so Clozapine is the only one that blocks d4.

I read that Clozapine is agonist at D1 improving cognition. I wonder what d4 does.

1 Like

I read that Cariprazine (Vraylar) is a partial agonist at D3 different than all other APs too like Clozapine.

1 Like

I mean Cariprazine has more clinical effects and affinity for d3 vs d2 while Abilify has more activity at d2 than d3.

I just read wikipedia and a bunch of articles about the 5 dopamine receptors, d1 to d5. Its confusing and too complicated as they say both blocking or stimulating the receptors have benefits. I am lost. I give up. Anyways even if I was a pdoc I wouldn’t be able to help myself lol

Thanks @Jimbob

1 Like

D3 agonists are in some parkinsons meds too.

Pramipexole , rotigotine

1 Like

Could also be the muscarinic receptors not many antipsychotic block those just zyprexa and clozapine

1 Like

Yea, I think it’s like an agonist at M4 receptors or something. I know KarXT is also an M4 agonist, so good stuff there I guess.

1 Like

Drooool!
D4 is nothing but drooling!
It is called dirty drug bc it atacs various of receptors…
There is nothing romantic in clozapine…

1 Like

My psychiatrist says haldol and clozapine are good meds

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.