Depression vs Negatives

If I’ve posted this before, I’m sorry. I genuinely can’t recall…

But lately, I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about depression vs negative symptoms. I do not know how to differentiate. My pdoc’s PA was pushing ADs, saying depression is why I’ve been in bed for the past few years. But I don’t feel depressed. My personality has changed a lot (esp regarding religion, political views, and tolerance for people). I have no real interest in things. A part of me wants to do stuff (play guitar, volunteer more, train Ghost, drive again), but I just don’t. My appetite hasn’t changed. Self care is in the crapper. I’m unreliable. I’m basically not living. But if you were to talk to me, you’d never know. I’m all kinds of perky- effervescent is my favorite word to describe my personality.

So how do I know which it is? I’d love input into y’alls experiences.

2 Likes

It definitely sounds like you are having negatives. Maybe the negatives are making you feel depressed?

3 Likes

My doctor told me the way to tell the difference is with depression u miss the thing u lost, and with negatives u don’t. So for example, you are no longer interested in playing the guitar and that upsets u and u wish u were interested again, that’s depression. U are no longer interested in playing the guitar and u don’t care that u are no longer interested, that’s negative symptoms.

3 Likes

Apathy. For me makes it clear it’s negatives.

If I miss or care about things - I might have a chance to overcome the abolition/Anhedonia.

I think both negs and depression are bad but it’s important to know the difference to go about treatment.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.