Degrees and fields good for a sz to work in?

Any ideas ? I’m trynna live with some financial stability

1 Like

Many schizophrenics work as prostitutes and cab drivers. For one thing, the work hours are attractive.

Jayster

Well, I’m trying to get into Wordpress and web development. I don’t know with my energy levels, psychosis, depression, smoke breaks, and cognitive decline, I don’t know how good I’ll be. I forgot most of the javascript I learned. I think in a few months, you could call me a coder. I think the most complex thing I did so far was use CSS to make a photo gallery and then Google’s Map API to make a map. I will be making a custom calculator soon. I will need to learn how to create (or use templates/plugins) and manage an eCommerce store. That’s what I’m doing and it’s all for free. Someday, I will need to make a LLC. I need to learn code as well as Wordpress. Not just Wordpress. I’m hoping to make money some day.

1 Like

Tech 1515151515

Definitely a home business, where I don’t have to hear mumbly talking, which I’m prone to hearing hallucinations in.

Having your own business is stressful but at least we don’t have to deal with stigma as much.

I might do basic work through DOR. It won’t mess with my benefits.

1 Like

Any interesting field that you enjoy would be good for you. People with schizophrenia can do anything neurotypicals can.

If you’re someone who needs a low-stress environment, find a low stress job. If you need to set your own hours, do that. If you need to work from home, go ahead. Many fields nowadays are quite flexible. The important thing is that you find something you like doing, in an environment that is suited for you.

4 Likes

I figured web development is easier than quantum physics lol.

I’m a jazz and blues pianist. When I’m functioning well and sometimes teach. I don’t suffer from stage fright and find it stimulating. Difficult time with meds currently, though…

1 Like

Depends if you want to use your brain more or labor, or both.

1 Like

Excellent point. What’s good for some, etc…

Always found warehousing paid well and you didn’t need any skills. Process work is also good…anything that is physically demanding can often be easy if you don’t mind hard work and your prone to zone out with things. Bigger cities have big logistical chains where you can pick up work. It is hard work but as I say, it usually pays above minimum and some jobs you can upskill like getting a forklift licence.

3 Likes

If there’s something you enjoy and are good at that’s what you should pursue regardless of the future pay. If you don’t enjoy any type of degree field then just take one you are good at regardless of what it is. The stress of not knowing what you are doing can make sz. worse.

It depends on your symptoms, for most szs light manual jobs are the best.

If you can study mathematics, programming, philosophy or other ‘cold’ subjects are a good choice.

1 Like

Schizophrenics can work in any field they’re interested in. There is no specialty for people with schizophrenia except that the job be low stress.

1 Like

They say math is low stress but not if your horrible at it.

I was about to type this too! To build on this, (I currently work retail and warehouse for the same company) I find that warehouses have a lot of white noise too, so I very rarely ever hear any voices, and I’m usually too distracted by work to have any issues with my hallucination. Also depending on where you work you can get free stuff too. I work for an eCommerce business and the warehouse guys get a lot of free amazon stuff that is either returned and forgotten or subtly damaged. :smiley:

And regarding eCommerce, I find that I have a good time with that too! its good money if you commit to a good business plan and sell things on the internet.

1 Like

To me, few things are easier than data entry. Don’t need to use much brain or body. Of course I think it is better to do something you’re passionate about. But I feel like data entry would be something a lot of us can handle…

1 Like

It pays good too.

2 Likes

Sales and your own business. Those are the only things that are open to you if you haven’t worked in 22 years. That’s what I’m going to be doing.

1 Like