Cooking..... any ideas or tips?

I’m in a cooking mood or mind set this morning. Don’t know why, it’s just happening. Most likely all the holiday baking going on. I never learned to cook before and I’m learning now.

What are some favorite recipes or comfort foods you cook for yourself?

Pancakes!! You can make them from scratch or use Bisquick. Or a scramble. Whip three eggs in a bowl with a fork. Cut into bite size pieces any vegetables you have on hand. Asparagus, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, etc. Cut whatever meat you have on hand into bite size pieces. Park, chicken, beef. Fry the meat first in a fry pan sprayed with Pam or oil or butter, stirring frequently, Once it’s is cooked thoroughly, (about 6 minutes) remove and put in a bowl. Do the same with the vegetables.Once they’re cooked throw everything together in the pan and pour the eggs over. Stir until eggs are cooked. You can tell when they’re done.Viola! A scramble. Fry up some bacon or potatoes and make some toast.

1 Like

My 8 y son’s favourite is Pasta with Bacon. He makes it him self.

Put pasta in boiling water.
Chop bacon and onion. Fry bacon and onion. Put a tablespoon flour in the frying pan. Stir until you see no more white flour. Pour 2 dl milk and stir. If it’s too thick pour little more milk into pan until you are happy.
This takes 7-10 minutes. Ready at the same time as pasta.

You can spice it with pepper, salt and paprika and a tablespoon ketchup.

I’m going to make some smoked salmon, green vegetables, vegetarian beans with brown sugar & cayenne pepper…Washing it down with my favorite Bolthouse Farms Vanilla Chai Tea!

Hash browns. Scrambled egg sandwich.

I’m not much for baking. Still learning how to be a better cook.

I don’t really like chocolate but the smell of baking chocolate chip cookies is pretty good.
I get a chocolate chip mix by Betty Crocker in the baking section of the grocery store. I just have to add 1 egg and softened butter. Stir good and drop about a teaspoon full for each one on a baking sheet. Use a timer and put in oven for about 8 minutes. Like I said I don’t really like chocolate but I have to have a couple when I do make them as they smell so good. Maybe I will make some today :wink:

A twist on grilled cheese sandwiches. My son said he didn’t like grilled cheese sandwiches but liked my version of them.
I cut up onion and put it in between the bread with the cheese. I also mix garlic in with the butter that I put on the outside of the bread for frying. Fry as usual. I buy garlic already minced in big or small bottles in the grocery stores.

A slow cooker recipe that I have been really liking lately is pot roast soup. It’s healthy and not to hard.
I buy a package of stewing beef and cut them up as small as I want. Put in bottom of slow cooker. Peel some potatoes and cut them in small cubes. Cut up some carrots. Add them on top of the beef. In about 3 cups of water add whatever spices you want. I use garlic, cilantro/coriander, celery salt and pepper. Stir and poor over what is in the slow cooker. To make it taste really beefy I buy beef bouillon. Also in the baking section. I take one cube and crumble it over top. It will mix in with everything as it is cooking. Put on lid and cook on high for about 6-8 hours. The last time I made it I tried using Thyme as another spice. I used to much lol but it was still good. It’s great as left over too.

1 Like

Thank you for that. I’ll copy/paste the slow cooker recipe. Soup is a major food here. Even in summer, there is chilled cucumber soup, and gazpacho.

I’m just learning everything. The kid sis is huge on baking. She is all about breads and muffins. She and Mom get together and do a christmas cookie basket for people. They make an army of gingerbread men and gingerbread bats and skeletons with little red frosting santa hats. (My sis is an Adams family fan). I wish she would eat a little more of what she makes. But there is always a blueberry muffin somewhere in our house. Besides soup, she will make an effort if you put a blackberry or blueberry pancake in front of her. I’m hoping to learn how to make more.

2 Likes

Gosh, great topic! I love roast turnip cooked in chicken stock (rosted for about an hour) goes well with roast chicken (get your chicken stock from there) and some roast potatoes. It’s my new fav dinner and the turnip adds a lovely sweetness to it all

I hate to say it but I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a turnip. If you don’t mind me asking, what do they taste like? I know they are a root veggie. Are they sort of peppery like a radish?

It depends on how you cook it

Roasted (my fav way) they cook soft and are a little sweet, If cooked in chicken stock or a spoon of butter that reduces the sweetness a little but adds a little something My tastebuds can’t put into words hahaha roasting can take up to 1hour and 15 minutes

The taste is hard to discribe but if you try them make sure you cook them well and until there soft. if you eat them before they are soft they can be a little peppery but not mouth burning or anywhere close. just a hint.

You can boil them to, they are much more plain and boring like that but boiled turnip does go well with mashed potatoes.

You can mash them with carrets 50% carret 50% turnip and that also tastes good (my mum and sister love turnip this way) great with mashed potatoes too.

Hope this helps

LONG LIVE THE TURNIP lol

1 Like