Contraceptive pills and anxiety

I just came back from my gynaecologist and asked her to prescribe me contraceptive pills because I want to test out and see if it will help reduce my intense anxiety during the time of the month.

I am looking forward to try it at least for a month. I don’t smoke anymore so nothing to worry about.

I only will check if there is any interaction between my meds and supplements with the pharmacist.

What has been your experience with contraceptive pills? Do you notice other changes in your body like hair loss and glowing skin?

4 Likes

Not to rain on your parade,

But the only things I’ve experienced from taking BC is weight gain.

Oh, and pregnancy…

:rofl:

3 Likes

which one did you take?

:scream: you got pregnant while being on birth control?

1 Like

Yes,

I was on Nuva Ring.

It was awesome for like three years, but then I got knocked up,

So, you know.

1 Like

She prescribed me Alesse

1 Like

I’m not super familiar with this one,

But you should probably check out some reviews before taking it.

I just googled it real fast and was very surprised at the rating…

1 Like

yeah I am used to taking a lot of pills. Most pills I take do not have a good rating.
I am willing to try.

2 Likes

True that.

Keep us posted on how it works for mood and skin stuff,

I’d be interested to know.

1 Like

I have a copper IUD and I would not recommend it. I have the worst cramps in the universe. Like hospitalization, crying in bed for days cramps. I cramp before during and after my cycle. Hell. Hellllll.

My friend is on a hormone IUD though and she has no cramping, and usually very light or no period. Jealous.

1 Like

I take ortho tricyclin pills and my hormones seem amazingly regulated. I don’t get moody that time of month and i barely have a period anymore if I get it at all. Clear skin too.

1 Like

My psychosis and anxiety is very much related to hormones. Every time I get a psychosis is one day before my period starts and I have horror pms. I have been on a birth control pill to prevent this. It leveled out my feelings, good and bad, and prevented psychosis (I was not on an AP at the time) and fear - until I had a stop week, that is when I became psychotic again. So…it might work for you but watch out for the stop week!

1 Like

Oh I also tried taking it without a stop week. If you have the same issues as me in the stop week, that might work for you. For me it didnt, because I started to feel physically sick because of the buildup of hormones. I am just sensitive to hormones I guess, might work for you though.

1 Like

Thank you. Worth a try because I really want to be ‘okay’ and consistent. so sick and tired of the pain, mood swings, negative energy… I wanna be at peace so maybe this will help me.

I really understand! And I hope the pill works for you!

1 Like

My friend used to get terrible mood swings during her period. An extra-strong birth control pill totally leveled her out. She stopped fighting with her husband and was able to lower, then stop her antidepressant. But she didn’t take it exactly right. I think you have to take it at the same time every day, in the right order. And she would forget sometimes. So now, she has two kids. If you take it correctly, the risk of pregnancy is very low.

I have another friend who married a girl with BPD. She had awful episodes, and no med would help. Finally, her OBGYN suggested the extra-strong birth control pill. Now, she is much happier and more functional, and their marriage is stronger than ever.

Another friend is a trans woman, and once she started hormone therapy, she was able to significantly lower her AP. Estrogen can be a fantastic thing.

These are just my personal anecdotes with birth control pills.

3 Likes

I get super moody during my time.

I switched from regular BC to a quarterly BC pill called Camrese (generic) or Seasonique (brand). I’ve only had one period in the last 4 months. I guess my moods are more even, I’m tracking them with an app. Only SE I’ve had is acne.

1 Like

I just stopped by the pharmacy and took my first pill.
I also set it up in my calendar to get reminders everyday at the same time to take it.

I have very high hopes right now.

1 Like

I’m going to try the hormone IUD. I’m hoping for better control of my mood. I hope it works.

I wish you the best of luck @mermaid1 on the pill. I also had a friend who got pregnant on the pill, but she skipped like a whole week of it and not in the blank pill week, so not a good test.

2 Likes

I can not get pregnant on all these medications. It will damage the baby.
I am paying extra attention.

3 Likes