Community Garden Relaunch

hi everyone, after a really good winter and Christmas the seasons are changing and the earth is tilting again meaning there will be more light in our part of the world, so i was very happy to receive a text from the manager of the community garden that i attended last year,

today i volunteered my time and helped with some general maintenance to clear old wood that was taken from an old dismantled greenhouse, we managed to get a fire going to burn the old wood and i kept the fire burning and chopped wood with a saw,

I also looked in the catalogue for what i would like to be planting and these include, carrots, potatoes, onions, turnip, peas, cucumber, Mushrooms and herbs, and maybe a melon or 2, i would also like to grow some raspberries to make some jam and i’d like to make my own jar of pickle as well.

its really rather exciting actually bc they are getting some poly tunnels as well which promote growth.

anyway, hope you are all doing ok and if anyone wants to chat about Gardening or planting i’d be welcome to hear, cheers :slight_smile:

7 Likes

WWWWOOOOOOOTTT!!!

Another plant lover!!! I knew there had to be another here!

I dont have a lot of space at all, I do a bit of what is dubbed as micro gardening on the patio.(cause thats all i got).

but i can really fit a lot in the container gardens, and have a very long grow season for certain things like tomatoes, onion, peppers etc.

I just started sweet potato slips last week. I also do indoor gardening (houseplants) and have gotten very good at propagating them.

I cant wait.only about 45 days ,here, till planting season outdoors.

2 Likes

i am quite a newbie at this gardening lark so i am listening and learning as i go, its really good being out and getting my hands dirty, we had a fire going today and i love a good fire :slight_smile:

I am very excited about what is happening at this Community Garden and its looking good for the future, the Garden shares part of the land with the Church and we can use that building to put on events and activities like Lunches and Cookery classes etc, we also sell the jam and produce that we make for charity.

2 Likes

That sounds really cool. I like it because it is as-you-go learning thing. I have learned so much.

I started with house plants. Then went to container gardening. It just feels so nice to learn how to be a bit more self suffient, and and it is relaxing too.

It gives me something to look forward to. Spring is like Chirstmas to me.

You want to see what I am gifting myself this spring?

Type in " finegardening painted begonia rex"

There has been some more common ones at the supercenters like walmart and such. But I am getting that spiral leafed purple and blue one.

So beautiful… can you believe they are real? ( they are. lol)

I am also wanting the choleus called lemon chiffon. It is bright green, pink, and yellow.

I love all the different colors!

Do you house plants? there is stuff out there called rooting powder. It really helps to propagate cuttings.

I think your going to love it.

2 Likes

i tried to grow some lemon balm that was cut but it died, i was watering it trying to help it grow and it was getting enough light, i think maybe it was the soil that was bad :frowning:

if you want we can exchange pictures of our plantings i think that would be exciting, i probably should have taken a picture yesterday and made a kind of before and after type thing.

btw if anyone wants to share you are more than welcome :slight_smile: xxx

1 Like

For cuttings, I use seed starter or just plain peat moss for soil. I fill up a 2 inch (about 5 cm high) seedling pot.

We can use yogort cups or recycle other things too. After filling up the seedling pot with peat moss, I wet it twice to make certain it is a bit like mud all the way through. Then I let it drain well.

Now, I am going to say something shocking:

After draing, I then pack/ tamp the soil but only medium-light. I know everyone cries, “but cuttings need fluffy soil!”

Tamping/packing the soil makes certain the cutting stays put and doesnt fall or twist around in the pot and never root.

When I take a cutting, I get a stem end that has 4 to 6 leaves. The bottom two leaves are removed. This is where future roots come from.

Next I use the wrong end of an artist paint brush to place 3 holes in the wet seed pots. The ends of cuttings are dipped in water, then rolled in the rooting hormone powder.

We want to make certain the cut and the place where we took off the bottom two leaves are covered with the powder. That is where new roots will form.

As I place each one in its hole, I am very careful not do it in such a way that the rooting powder is wiped off. (Dont twist the cutting into soil, or shove them in a hole in the soil that is too narrow).

Last we press the soil a bit tightly around the stems of the cuttins by pressing from each side. We want to make sure it is firm, and the cutting does not twirl or move in the soil.

At this time, I do not water. The soil is alreay wet and and we dont want to wash the powder off the cutting below the soil surface.

If there is a bright humid place that never gets direct sun, then that would be ideal.

I dont know how dry is the air where your at, but I usually have to water cutting once about every three days.

I put three to a pot becuase not every cutting will make it. However, 1 in 3 usually does take root. We also need to make certain cuttings are completely dead before trashing them.

Many cuttings will look terrible until they form roots(wilting).
After potting them the first time, I dont keep them in superwet muddy soil. Evenly moist will do fine, but humidity really helps.

1 Like

I would like to do pictures, but I dont know how. I will have to look it up.:grinning:

1 Like

That sounds awesome @Resilient1 :slight_smile: We dug over part of our lawn (about 20ft square) at the end of last year ready for planting veg for this year, we’re planting potatoes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, pumpkin, leeks, carrots, parsnips and strawberries. We also planted 3 fruit trees at the end of Nov, cherries, apples and plum, and are hopeful we get some fruit this year. I’m so excited to see how our fruit and veggies do, I love the idea of growing a lot of our own food and it’s such a pleasurable pastime. We have a big pile of dead wood from pruning other trees in the garden last year which should be dry enough to burn now so we’ll have a nice big bonfire in the garden soon. I’ve also planted a variety of herbs in one of the borders… I’ve learned that mint has to be planted in a pot or it will take over everything lol, learned that the hard way, but I’m lucky in that a close friend has a degree in horticulture and works in a garden centre so she will keep me right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

idk if you know this little tip but you can use the tube from toilet rolls as little seedling pots and plant the whole thing in soil when they are ready, the tube biodegrades in the soil :slight_smile: its pretty cool xxx

2 Likes

Here is a few pictures of the Garden as it was getting revamped today, we did quite a lot and I tended the fire and moved some wood and soil

Someone showed me pictures of their chickens but I can’t find the post so will post my chickens from the community garden here :wink::blush::hugs:

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.