Community garden + poll xxx

hi, guys, hope your doing ok :slight_smile:

so i was at a community garden today with my gf, it was her first time lol (i’ll call her the green virgin) haha i was one of those too until recently, its great to get out into the wilderness with everything growing especially at this time of year the fruits are all starting to grow and its amazing really,

so i cant do much bc i get really anxious and the pain can get unbearable so we were given little light jobs to do, we were spraying the mint for green fly and then cutting and collecting some lemon balm (the smell is amazing) then we hung it up to dry out,

there was a fire going but it doesnt happen a lot and we were smelling of smoke a bit after so when i came back it prompted me to shower and shave,

anyway idk if this thread will take off but i was wondering if anyone is doing anything in their garden or allotment etc, i am very interested in nature and growing things now lol so here’s a little poll i thought i’d make.

have you ever grown anything before?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

2 Likes

I went a little crazy buying seeds and stuff to plant in a mini-dome with hex-cells (the stuff seems so cheap!). Mostly I just wanted to get my niece and little cousin into it since they were bored.

We don’t have a lot of space to plant much outside, but a couple of purple Zinnias are growing pretty well in front. Only got a pumpkin that sprouted from that mini-dome transplanted outside in a big pot. It’s doing really well, too. The rest I’m still having to find room for.

It’s a quite a bit to learn, but its fun getting your hands dirty. My little cousin was trying to comfort me because I noticed some of the seeds that sprouted aren’t doing too well. “It’s okay. We’re still learning. We’re beginners. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

haha thats funny and really cute too :slight_smile:

i love getting my hands dirty too, we have planted some courgettes and apparently they can get really big but idk if they get as big as a pumpkin lol

2 Likes

I’ve grown peanuts and corn - not a whole garden. Just one crop.

2 Likes

Says the courgettes can grow as big as 1 meter.

Pumpkins though… I didn’t even realize how big the particular seed we got grows until I read more about it on the back of the seed packet, but it says it can be as big as 100 pounds. O_O

Don’t know what gonna do with that much pumpkin.

I think its amazing how it starts from a simple little seed. Can’t wait to see it grow vines and flowers.

3 Likes

i didnt know pumpkins grew vines and flowers lol, maybe you could hire it out to a big shopping centre for halloween lol or sell it, that would be amazing,

i’m also growing spaghetti squash and that really intrigues me bc idk if its going to taste ok lol, its not all for me though, most of the food gets donated and almost nothing gets wasted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i’ve grown myself.
that’s about it. i’ve always wanted to grow food, but i think growing food will be a lot more difficult than i’m imagining.

i just started at it recently and i think its not too bad esp in a community garden bc everyone chips in and it basically runs itself, all we do is plant them mostly and tend to them a little bit, it takes surprisingly little effort.

2 Likes

well today at the community garden i helped muck out the chicken coup and composted some old plants :slight_smile:

i also had some fruit that i didnt need that i bought for smoothies but i dont want to waste it, if i want a smoothie i will look it up and get the ingredients instead of buying in bulk,
they were very happy with the fruits though and i felt good it wasnt going to waste.

1 Like