College and Schizophrenia

Thank you darksith, that’s sweet :blush:

1 Like

I am half way through a Ph.D. program in Public Health, specializing in Epidemiology. I also hold a B.S. in Microbiology, M.S. in Health Services Research, a Graduate Certificate in Biostatistics, and another Graduate in Epidemiology.

For all of those who are struggling with school or have dropped out, Because sz first manifests symptoms in late teens or in the early 20s, having trouble coping and performing academically can be very challenging. I have been diagnosed with schizo affective disorder and bipolar I. One is bad, but two can be a killer to classes, especially the voices, visual hallucinations, mania, then depression. I was not diagnosed or medicated for all of my undergrad. I did self medicate with alcohol and drugs, and that took a while to overcome as well. I had to take a semester off here and there, but I always had the drive to go back to school and the thirst for knowledge. Ever since I was a kid, I have always been obsessed with the questions, “Why does something work the way it does? or How do I do that?” I did not go to college because people told me to (although everyone in my family did tell me to do just that), I went to school because it made me, makes me happy, and is easy. For those who have been diagnosed, take your meds. For those who have not been diagnosed, make an appointment with a shrink to be evaluated. Mental illness is nothing to fool around with, try to ignore, try to grin and bear it, or try to drink or drug away. If you have to drop out, don’t be too hard on yourself, it does not mean you are stupid or inferior. It just means that you are having a hard time right now, and need a break. It is easier than you think to start again, once you are in a better place, mentally. If you really do not like school, that is OK too. There are plenty of other things that you are probably very good at and are easy, try doing them instead. It will make your life much easier, and you will probably be much happier as well. Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well both in school and outside of it.

3 Likes

If I haven’t welcomed you to the forum before Coffee Girl, then I do apologize. Thank you for this kind post. You’re thirst for knowledge and love of learning sure has taken you to some amazing places.

Thank you for this, I know people get defeated sometimes when this illness gets in the way. I know a person who gets depressed when her anorexia gets in the way and she’s very hard on herself.

So am I guessing that you study HOW people get to the help they need? It’s one thing to have all the science of the brain chemistry of this illness… but knowing all about dopamine receptors didn’t help me stay on my meds when I found myself homeless. It didn’t help my figure out the amazing mountain of DSHS hoops for assistance.

You get the people who are sick to the support they need?

I have applied for the fall and was accepted.

I have 100 credit hours in various fields and most of them do not apply to what I am going to do now. I have struggled with college and motivation to study or even go to class. I have been going on and off since I graduated high school and don’t even have an associated degree.

But I have been working 6 or 7 days a week for a year now and I figure if I can do that then I can go to college everyday and study.

My car will be paid off and I don’t really have any other bills so even if I just work a few shifts at the restaurant I will be oK.

I just need a change of pace as the hospital job is getting to be really boring and I don’t do great with doing the same thing everyday and I need more money. Can’t live on 11 and hour forever.

1 Like

I do study how, why, when, and where people get sick at the population level, not the individual level. Epidemiology is the study of how diseases spread through populations, whether it is a food borne outbreak at a public event or HIV/AIDS in the U.S. or globally. Knowing why people get sick, i.e. mental illness, certainly does not help me stay on my meds at times either. In fact I was hospitalized with a psychotic break just a few years ago. I thought that my father was trying to kill me, despite the fact that he was dead already. I struggle with psychosis almost on a daily basis, just like everyone else, despite the fact I know what causes me to become that way in the first place. When I was homeless when I was 17 I did not even know what psychiatric medications were. As far as helping people get the help they need, what I do is a lot of research on services. Whether you are looking for free services or if you are lucky enough to be able to afford insurance and a doctor, the information is on the web, you just have to know where to look.

1 Like

I can certainly relate. I took me almost 9 long years to complete my BS. I had to stop and start, and stop and start so many times that is a wonder that I earned any degree at all.

1 Like

What helped me start to get off the street was a mix of resources and kindness provided by a small Unitarian church food bank, and then being with that food bank, they called the cops/ hospital when I really went out of my head. I hated the hospital but it was the start of stabilization.

It’s HARD getting off the street. Sometimes I think I faced more stigma being homeless then being mentally ill. I’m impressed by anyone who’s had to do it. What helped you and got you out?

At the time I was basically an IV drug addict living on the street and just starting to develop the first of my psychotic symptoms. I went to this party and started a conversation with a friend of a friend and told him about my situation. Not to get any sympathy or anything like that, just to talk to someone. As it turned out his grandmother that had raised him had just died and he was living in the small house that his grandmother owned by himself. He was very depressed. He suggested that if I wanted to stay at his place in an extra bedroom for a while I could. We sort of became each others confidant and helped each other become a little more mentally stable. He was never my boyfriend, he was gay, but he turned into my best friend.

1 Like

That is lovely. I know it’s my Sz, but I sort of get a bit enthusiastic about connections like this…

One conversation at a random party… leads to you getting off the street and becoming a person who will know how to stop a global outbreak saving millions of lives.

I would love to talk some more, but I have been very manic lately and I haven’t slept for about 26 hours now. I think it is time to try to get some sleep, if I can. Talk with you later.

1 Like

HORRAY!!! hORRAIY!!! HORRAY!!! for everyone who has school in their lives…no matter what don’t give up…even though i don’t know you personally,i couldn’t be prouder…JOY AND MORE JOY///

3 Likes

Where do you find the animated little guys to put in your post?

yeah,i just love my “smiley faces”…i don’t know how to put them on the computer;,as my daughter did mine…but to find them just punch in smiley emoticons…there is a ton of sights that carry them and they are all free i think…mine were…their fun…good luck.

1 Like

It seems using copy and paste works. Google/search smiley emoticons and then pick one.

1 Like

I graduated college in 2011. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2009. I graduated with a degree in psychology.’

I was medicated most of the time in I was in college. It was a struggle at times to attend class and understand the material but I made it through. I really like to learn so that helped. Also, my professors all knew about my diagnosis and were very helpful.

2 Likes

I tell my psych professors about it. If I miss class or something I tell other professors. The psych professors are very supportive.