Cognitive decline

I agree with Velociraptor, failing to talk on a regular basis effects a decline in your verbal skills. I was fairly quiet during my first years of illness and my mother language suffered a great setback. I’d never been on par with public speakers anyway, but it got visibly worse.

1 Like

No I have not been practicing my verbal skills so much but again I know that it’s my mood stabilizer causing this.
Maybe it’s a little bit of both.
@shutterbug @Andrey

1 Like

Hope you get it sorted. Meds can definitely mess up speech, that’s why I do my best to bump along on the minimum dose that I can without losing insight.

1 Like

First, you should have a medical workup to determine the cause of the decline. Neurological symptoms can fluctuate from day to day, and do often zig-zag depending on internal and external influences. There is a small amount of decline with normal ageing.

It could simply be a side effect of your medication(s) but other causes need to be ruled out first.

1 Like

You have awareness of your decline which is good. I have declined a lot I just realized. With guitar I try and learn new pieces all the time. I spend time on a piece for a long time but move on and make new connections.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. I have trouble remembering the names of people I know well. I’ll get up to do something and then forget what I was going to do. I will intend to do something a few hours later, and then I won’t recall what it was I wanted to do. I’m going through very strong mood swings. It could be early onset Alzheimer’s. Both my parents died of brain diseases with the same symptoms as Alzheimer’s, but with different underlying mechanisms of action.

1 Like

I talk with my s/family. My depot nurse maybe 6-7 times a year. My father and stepmother on the phone, every now and then. I did also talk to the reenablement workers when they were seeing me.

That’s better than it was in Essex.There I could go a week or more without talking to anyone.

1 Like

I’m more than holding my own cognitively speaking., but I’m acutely aware that things can change rapidly when you get to be 65 and over. Hopefully I’ll be like my father. He’s 91 and still mentally sharp.

2 Likes

Hope you get things sorted out @Wave. Sorry you’ve been having such a rough time lately.

2 Likes

Stress can impair cognitive performance, as commonly observed in cognitive performance anxiety (CPA; e.g., test anxiety). Cognitive theories indicate that stress impairs performance by increasing attention to negative thoughts, a phenomenon also known as threat-interference.

I’m going to fail! Acute cognitive performance anxiety increases threat-interference and impairs WM performance).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.