Schizophrenia.com

Clozapine?

anyone on clozapine and if so for how long? ive been on it 6 years just wondering if its safe long term use

0 Likes

I think it doesn’t have any “long” term side effect,and I read that it can prevent cancer also,:slight_smile:

0 Likes

British studies have said otherwise as far as side effects…though some doctors do use it in conjunction with chemo for C…

and this is well known
“SIDE EFFECTS: Clozapine may cause a severe reduction in white blood cell count, a condition known as agranulocytosis, in approximately 1 in 100 patients who take it for at least one year. White blood cells fight infections, and a severe reduction in white blood cells can result in severe infections. If not caught early, agranulocytosis can be fatal. Therefore, the white blood cell count should be measured (with a blood test) prior to starting treatment and regularly (weekly) while patients receive this medication, and for 4 weeks after it is stopped.”

0 Likes

I too have been on it 6 years or so and nothing bad has happened, actually the few side-effects that I had have lessened over the years.

0 Likes

do you dribble uncontrolably? i wake in the morning and my pillow is soaking wet and im always chocking on my spit

0 Likes

My son has been on Clozapine for about 1.5 years. He drools while sleeping. I think I read once that limiting liquid intake a hour or so before bed may help reduce this.

0 Likes

oh i might have to try that

0 Likes

The psychiatrist can prescribe something for the drooling. I cant remember what it’s called but there is a thing for it.

0 Likes

yeah i take it called hyosine. helps a little but not fanastic. its one of the only side effects that really bothers me

0 Likes