Clinical trials of an epilepsy drug in cognition in sz, Colorado, USA

3 Likes

Thanks @twinklestars Do you know anyone who has tried this?
It is quite a common epilepsy drug (Keppra) which has a similar chemical structure to Piracetam though completely different clinical profiles.

Its interesting to me as I have tried other epilepsy medications and found them useful in attenuating delusions (eg gabapentin and others)

The modus operandi of these medications that intrigue me is that "they they do not interact with inhibitory or excitatory neurotransmission or alter membrane excitability"
Hence no risk or down or up regulating anything which is handy.

Incidentally Piracetam (or the 'tams generally) has virtually no nootropic effect on me - thought I think @TheBest may have recently tried it to some effect?

1 Like

I only used Piracetam a couple of times. I didn’t think it was worth it to take it for long periods of time.

1 Like

Wow, I’ve never been on Keppra before.
Interesting…

1 Like

I took aniracetam. I guess it increases dopamine. I liked the med but maybe it caused me to develop more psychotic symptoms. Sometimes I think I’m freaking psychic.

2 Likes

Interesting. I think I brought up before how depakote was thought of as a brain enhancing drug.

1 Like

Yeah. Know what you mean.
Sometimes I reckon all the AP’s are there to mask the truth. :frowning: Far better to live in happy oblivion and think of your psychotic episodes as "delusions " rather than not very comfortable windows to a scary reality.
Dont get me wrong -paranoid delusions definitively exist - no doubt about that - and anti psychotics are good in that way of calming the crazy mind down …but I think some psychic ability also exists and it gets bushed off as delusion.

2 Likes

Have you tried this @insidemind ?

Well according to Wiki it is "medications primarily used to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorder and to prevent migraine headaches.[1] It is useful for the prevention of seizures in those with absence seizures, partial seizures, and generalized seizures."
Also “It is unclear exactly how valproate works.[1][3] Proposed mechanisms include affecting GABA levels, blocking voltage-gated sodium channels, and inhibiting histone deacetylases”

Definitely meds/supps enhancing gaba I have found to be helpful as an adjunct . The research as to using Depakote as a adjunct for schizophrenia is not totally clear but a strong possibility. I think when I tried it it gave me skin problems and liver pains so I stopped but I remember feeling a lot less delusional.

Here’s some research…concluding “There is limited evidence, based on a number of trials, that the augmentation of antipsychotics with valproate may be effective for overall clinical response, and also for specific symptoms, especially in terms of excitement and aggression”

http://www.cochrane.org/CD004028/SCHIZ_valproate-schizophrenia

2 Likes

Yeah I am thinking of trying a micro dose of this. AP’s are effective but imo the more herbal/supps and adjuncts we can use to help take the load of the AP the better. However thats just my opinion - certainly we have to be careful to make sure there are no contraindications between the supps/meds etc…

3 Likes

Spot on. I think I tried a whole lot of racetams …most put me to sleep or made me a bit edgy. The best nootropics I have tried have been either herbal (Brahmi, Ashwa, etc ) and also a few supps like Citicholine, Uridine and Noopept (nasal spray not oral) …and COFFEE ! tons of it …the best adenosine antagonist noot around:)

I’ve got my core supplements now

Ashwagandha
Bacopa
NAC
Omega 3
Gotu Kola
B-2
Vitamin D
Vitamin E
Pregnenolone
Emergen C Packets
Metamucil
Sarcosine
L Theanine for sleep

That’s really all I need and I’m done trying new things.

2 Likes

Great stack ! Got all your bases covered. You must have tried a lot of stuff.

Whats the Pregnenolone like? What sort of effects does it have on you and how much do you take?

1 Like

I take 50 mg of Pregnenolone every morning. Just started it yesterday. It’s helping with my comprehension issues. It was the missing link to my stack.

1 Like