BIG NEWS! Levetiracetam improves negative and cognitive symptoms

From Wikipedia

Levetiracetam, sold under the brand name Keppra among others, is a medication used to treat epilepsy. It is used for partial-onset, myoclonic, or tonic–clonic seizures and is taken either by mouth as an immediate or extended release formulation or by injection into a vein.

11 Likes

Here’s the possible side effects

6 Likes

Idk how I feel about taking an epilepsy med, I would feel scared that it could cause epilepsy in certain cases like withdrawals.

4 Likes

Case report from 2017: Schizophrenia Associated with Epileptiform Discharges without Seizures Successfully Treated with Levetiracetam

Case presentation: We present the case of a 23-year-old female patient suffering, since the age of 14 years, from a fluctuating paranoid-hallucinatory syndrome with formal thought disorder, fear, delusions of persecution, auditory, visual, and tactile hallucinations, as well as negative and cognitive symptoms. Laboratory measurements showed increased titers of antinuclear antibodies (ANAs) in the context of ulcerative colitis. While there was no clear history or evidence of epileptic seizures, the EEG showed generalized 3 Hz polyspike wave complexes. Under treatment with levetiracetam, the symptoms disappeared and the patient was able to complete vocational training.

1 Like

Are you guys going to try it?

Be carefull because i tried lamictal 25 mg and it destroyed my life with psychotic reaction

1 Like

I got psychosis as side effect lol so dont do it

I found levetiracetam being mentioned in this 2020 review on “hippocampal hyperactivity” in schizophrenia:

The potentially central role of hippocampal hyperactivity in causing the hyperdopaminergic state in schizophrenia and resulting aberrant assignment of salience provides a rationale for attempts to reduce hippocampal excitability and synaptic glutamate release. Partially, this might be achievable by re-purposing existing drugs, for example by low doses of levetiracetam which reduces presynaptic transmitter release (Surges et al., 2008; Meehan et al., 2011), enhances GABAergic signaling (Wakita et al., 2014), and ameliorates age-related hippocampal hyperactivity (Haberman et al., 2017) (currently tested in clinical trials NCT03034356, NCT02647437).

1 Like

Sounds great. I might like to try it. Sure.

1 Like

20 patients is an extremely small sample. I hope there will be a larger study to make sure it’s not some statistical error.

3 Likes

I hope that Big Pharma would be greedy enough to set up a bigger trial in order to repurpose drug

2 Likes

Tardive psychosis from lamictal… dont do it!

All racetams are illegal where I live. But I don’t know if I would try this one if I could. Possible side effects sound scary.

2 Likes

Benzos and cbd are used for epilepsy. Benzos can cause seizures in withdrawal in extreme cases. Not cbd tho

3 Likes

alot of people take piracetam, phenylpiracetam, aniracetam, etc as nootropics to enhance cognitive mental performance. i read levetiracetam is different im some ways to those ones but it is a prescription med i guess and not a supplement you can buy online

2 Likes

This is really exciting. Could a psychiatrist prescribe this now? What do you think the timeline looks like in terms of psychiatrists actually using this?

1 Like

What dosage was used in the study?

1 Like

Today I took 250mg in the morning. You actually feel the action. I will write more in a week.

3 Likes

Keep us updated

This topic is about an entirely different drug. Lamictal is also known as lamotrigine. And everyone reacts differently to every med. Please refrain from telling people to try/avoid certain meds just because they did/did not work for you.

4 Likes