Choosing homelessness

Who has chosen homelessness? even when you have a stable situation.

I am contemplating this quite often. When I am with my senses it sounds ridiculous, but sometimes I feel like it even when I know it is not helpful. Often it seems a solution when I am at my worst, because then I am alone and more free with myself. It seems I cannot cope with societal pressures, and even wanted to go the length and breadth of abdicating myself. A normal person might find that an absurd idea, but sometimes I think it is a choice.

Who else has this idea? and is it a strange idea?

6 Likes

I think one of the reasons I liked homelessness (for a short time) was because I wasn’t bothered by the fact that I wasn’t paying my own way because when you are homeless there is no rent.

1 Like

My mental illness chose homelessness. I wasn’t thinking rightly so I thought that the streets were where I was supposed to be.

1 Like

When i was younger,
I wanted to become homeless.
I don’t fit in this society

5 Likes

I prefer to have a bath and bed, but I’ve never been homeless so I don’t truly know.

How is it like?

1 Like

For me it was getting beat up in jail, sleeping on park benches, eating at soup kitchens, begging for change so I could buy a beer. A lot of stuff happened to me while out there on the streets but I’ll never say that I won’t someday go back to them…we don’t always know what life has in store for us.

2 Likes

it’s Never a choice.
this isnt like going on a weekend camping trip.

yes ive thought about it. ive imagined myself in a tent in the woods. i grew up drinking with homeless people in a cemetery down the street. when i was 21 i thought about pitching a tent in the woods where we had parties.

this also reminds me of the parents in the end of the glass castle. they chose homelessness on the streets of ny city as a couple.

1 Like

only cuz their daughter kicked them out.
I read that book.

Homelessness is my #1 fear.

2 Likes

I was homeless the Fall of 2008, and it’s something you definitely don’t want to do. Anything is better than being out on the street, and I wasn’t out in the cold of winter like some are.

2 Likes

I’m good with a warm bed and food to eat every day. No way would I choose homelessness. It’s something I’m not cut out for

2 Likes

I had to live and sleep at homeless shelters on skid row in downtown Los Angeles. The first time was in 2010 because in 2009 I stole some weed and money from someone and his friend broke into my apartment and beat me up so my dad kicked me out so I went to live at the Midnight Mission. Then in 2013 I watched a show on TV about the lives of the rich and famous and I wanted to be rich and famous so I went back to the Midnight Mission but that was a stupid mistake. I’m not talented or able to be famous for anything. One night I had nowhere to go so I just stayed up all night then went back to the Los Angeles Mission to get a bed.

2 Likes

i am scared of ever becoming homeless.

2 Likes

Personally, I am not scared for it… been thinking about it for over a decade. Sleeping in nature would be my preference, not a city. Maybe close to a city. I am seeing it as a last resort.

It’s my #1 fear too.

1 Like

ny city would be terrible to be homeless… too cold.

1 Like

Personally it is something I have done and know it is a fairly common thing szs do. I chose homelessness in 2013, just left home with no planning or much money and hopped on a plane to another city. I knew some guys there but they were just a rung above homeless themselves. By the end of 2016 i was on the meds im on now and im much more rational now.

My advice is to not go the homeless route and just start taking meds. It is an odd idea. Only a sz mind would ever conceptualize homeless favorably

2 Likes

I have had to choose homelessness just to save my life. I am constantly being persecuted and lied about. People stalk me and accuse me of things they do. I never know what I should really do.

2 Likes

About 5 years ago I left my apartment to live in my truck for a few weeks…I thought that my neighbors were trying to kill me and I carried a dead rat around in my pocket cuz I thought it was talking to me. They hospitalized me and I never saw Dead Fred again…when I was better I just moved back into my apartment.

2 Likes