Have you ever been Homeless?

Have you ever been Homeless in the past, or are currently Homeless?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I was homeless for a period of a few months a few times. Not really enough to get a real feel for it.

2 Likes

I voted No but have a fear of becoming Homeless, especially lately as my parents are aging and my future is becoming more murky.

6 Likes

I ran from home. was sent to hospital. sis picked me from hospital and took me to her place in Syracuse. I wrote some stuff to her roommate. then sis kicked me out.

was homeless in Syracuse for about one to two months, in-between shelters. I will never forget that. finally decided to use the money mom gave me, to come back home in Bronx, hundreds of miles away.

thank goodness it was summer.

2 Likes

I never lived on the streets but for a short time in hospital I was homless but when I got out some family toke me in for alittle bit

1 Like

No. But I was house less for a month in the eighties.

3 Likes

I was homeless, but I had a car. So I called myself a traveler, instead.

10 Likes

I guess “homeless” depends on what you call your “home.” before my diagnosis, I believed that mom’s place wasn’t home. I wanted to work from the ground up, get any job, home, family, good life and never see mom.

I waited outside an army recruiting place in Syracuse, all day, until some recruiter noticed me and said he’ll call me. never heard from him. I had a romantic thought about the army, but when my sis kicked me out and I was stranded in a Syracuse homeless shelter, hundred of miles away from mom’s apartment in the Bronx…

I tried walking to the Bronx, and the cops stopped me. said I couldn’t walk on the highway. I told the cop i wanted to go to the Bronx, and if he could drive me there. he said it was too far.

then I tried local roads, and I got so tired that I had to stop. some people found me and called the cops. I had to walk all the way back to the homeless shelter that threatened to kick me out if I didnt get a job.

guess I’m grateful mom took me in. I don’t think I’d be alive without mom

6 Likes

I first left my apartment, because my boyfriend was there who had cheated on me. I went to live with my older brother. I slept on the couch. I was paranoid. Almost a year later a hurricane flooded my apartment and I lived on my brother’s couch again. I would drive by the campus and sleep in my car. I didn’t feel comfortable being on the couch. I couldn’t sleep. I started hearing voices in the shower. All this was about 4 years before my diagnosis.

2 Likes

my x wife cheated on me… I drove to florida lived with my parents for a little bit but my sz was acting up bad…car blew up on the interstate so i took a bus back to tn… slept in a trailer ona couch that had no power during the winter… the land lord was my buddy so he let me sleep on his couch for a bit…floated around to diff friends houses and the powerless trailer for months… the day I was supposed to get picked up by my sister I drove to texas to pick up my soul mate…and been with her ever since… 5 years… 3.5 years of it I was either at school or working and was main provider after our child was born and we have kept a place and paid all the bills the whole time…so about a year of no set home led to 5 years of steady home… wouldn’t go back and change it for nothing must suffer some to find true happiness…

5 Likes

We got thrown out of the house we rented (for almost 5 years) from the house witch because after she raised the rent $200. more.
We complained because the toilet clogged up-again, and before we never called her, just ‘snaked’ it ourselves.
It was a very old, single family house in a regular established neighborhood, and the sewer lines had (her) tree roots clogging it up, so instead of calling someone to fix it,she tells us to use our neighbors toilet instead.
We told her she needed to fix it like NOW, and instead, ‘evicts’ us and tells us to get out.
yeah.

So screw this witch, we went out and bought a house instead, although it took from Sept -Dec to do it.

That was the only time (Keeping my fingers crossed) that I had no place to call home.

1 Like

I was homeless when I first got diagnosed in June 2015. I had been bouncing from one bad “room” rental to another and finally ended up completely penniless and bouncing to different shelters. I was involuntarily hospitalized while sleeping at the shelter. All my stuff was in a storage unit that I was behind in payments on. I was in really bad shape. My 75 year old Dad picked me up from the hospital when I got out and I have been here since then. It will be 2 years in June 2017.
I am technically still homeless but I have a place to stay so…ya, I’ll take it. I am staying here until I finish school, get a job and am able to take care of myself.

1 Like

I put no and I have no idea what I would do if homeless. Would I live out of my car? Would I find some way to make money to support myself? But then I guess not enough money so I would still be homeless. The reason why I want to find a job. I can’t live with my parents forever. Wish finding a job was easier.

2 Likes

I’ve been in homeless shelters until I got on disability when I was 23

3 Likes

I voted no, but I doubt. I was living in a camper on a campsite for a while, which might count as homeless. Then I found out I was pregnant and sought very hard for a decent house for the baby and I to live in. I could find only a temporary studio at first, it is very difficult to find affordable housing here. Right before being kicked out, and becoming homeless while expecting, ii found my dream apartment! I was very lucky! It was big enough, in the best neighbourhood, on walking distance of the city centre, my work and a nature area, just a half year old and all the painting, floor, curtains etc had already been done quite nicely by the people who lived there the first half year. There was just enough time left to fix a baby room. I felt blessed!

2 Likes

I was homeless when I moved here years ago, camped out in a tent for the summer till I had enough for a apartment, wasok, kinda fun living in a camp ground, everyone is happy there and on vacation, they come and go everyday so new people all the time next to you.

4 Likes

I put down no. Because most of the times I was without a home it was voluntarily. I spent some time backpacking. When someone ask me where my home was. I would point to my backpack. I also spent time living out of my pickup truck. I made a nice camper out of it and spent my time camping in the national forest. I did this when I was saving up my money for the down payment for this place.
When I was really homeless. My parent were always there to take me in.

2 Likes

I was homeless for a few days in 2008 when I was in college. I got kicked out of college because of some things I did while psychotic and I just kind of walked the streets looking for someone to help me. I was 1100 miles from my family. I went to a monastery and they wouldn’t take me. I went to several churches and they wouldn’t take me either. Finally I found a Catholic church and the priest let me stay there a few days, and he found me a family to stay with temporarily. That’s why I became Catholic.

4 Likes

I’m terrified of becoming homeless. I rely on my mom who takes care of me and last year she was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. My family has told me they would take care of me and I know my boyfriend would take care of me but in the back of my mind I fear becoming an unmedicated homeless woman pushing a shopping cart when my mom passes away. :sunny:

2 Likes

I feel exactly the same!

4 Likes