Children? To have or not to have them

Yes, I agree with @Newlyborn. My son developed paranoid sz and is dead today from suicide.

1 Like

And also if your children have children they still can inherit that

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. I considered suicide many times so I understand why he has done it. My condolences

2 Likes

kids are great. but i don’t want any anymore. i feel im too old, and probably couldn’t handle the extra workload.

i regret using birth control with my girlfriend when i was 20 though, if she would have got pregnant, i would have been a lot more responsible and motivated.

i think that ship has sailed for me. maybe in my next life haha. mom and dad will eventually have great grandkids, because im so late, i probably wouldnt even have grandchildren.

but i can’t change the past. i have nieces and nephews, that i spend time with, and that is enough for me, for now. it’s a big decision for you, and you may be able to adopt someday if you don’t have your own.

1 Like

I don’t have a family history of schizophrenia its very unlikely

If your partner doesn’t have any mental illness, your child have 13% chance of having SZ.
If you both have SZ, your child have 50% chance of having SZ.
This is regardless of family history.

1 Like

I dont have schiz I have anxiety but I did have psychosis before

1 Like

Oh I don’t know then, I recommend you ask your psychiatrist and family doctor opinions. They know more.

1 Like

Nobody ever complained about being born. I am sure if you have kids they won’t question your motives. And you have people around you who can help raise them. Kids are a blessing unless they are born with a serious genetic condition which would be sad. But I think now there are tests who can detect this kind of problems early in the womb.

2 Likes

i wouldnt really want to have kids…im too stressed with sz to be able for it…in a utopian sociaty i would have liked to haev kids if i found the right partner, but with sociaety as it is its a gamble how your kids would turn out

1 Like

I love having kids. I only raised one because the others are stepdaughters, but I wouldn’t trade her for anything. I wasn’t always mentally healthy while raising her, but we managed. She and I are close. I have no regrets.

2 Likes

That is wonderful to hear Pianogal. My biggest worry having children is not being mentally stable enough. To hear that someone else with schizophrenia has done it gives me hope for the future. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

It can be done when your partner doesn’t have mental illness. Otherwise its too difficult and sometimes impossible.

1 Like

Here’s the thing my SzA/OCD didn’t even begin until after my son Sam was born. Had I known I would never had had kids. It’s hard on them. My daughter is grown and she doesn’t deal with me now bc I think it’s bc I changed so much. I was such an independent person before.

1 Like

This is something I think about too, my partner is fine either way. He’s careless. I don’t have the health to look for a kid, it’s not just getting pregnant with meds, the child will grow, the demands will change, tutoring, school, waking up at 5 am every day, feeding, clothes. It’s a lot of work and sacrifice.

2 Likes

It’s a great expression of love for humanity. Sacrificing your free time to make a good citizen who will carry on your legacy. For what that’s worth.

But it’s not for everyone. Seems deeply personal and specific to circumstances.

2 Likes

Naw, never. Even if I cured myself, I’ll probably get cancer from smoking…I can’t even take care of myself.

1 Like

I never wanted kids until I accidentally got pregnant and then lost that pregnancy. Then I guess the idea of losing the baby made me rethink things and I changed my mind. And I went through a lot to finally have my kids. And my daughter ended up having problems. But I’m glad I had kids. They are the meaning to my world.

4 Likes

I rather mentor.

1 Like

I can’t imagine life without my kids. They are work mostly when they are young and depend on you for everything. They are all great! So much fun when they are adults and teenagers when you can have great conversations. I love them so much!

5 Likes