Cat Poo onset theory... are we at risk?

We are cat sitting and my kid sis changed the litter box at least twice this week.

Does this mean that in 10 or so years when she has a kid that kid will end up with schizophrenia?

As long as there is no Schizophrenia in her family… Oh wait… never mind.

… That’s ok… we’ll blame the cat poo from 10 years previous. Maybe I should change the litter box, but then again… maybe we’re too late. :open_mouth:

(sorry, woke up in a very sarcastic mood) :wink:

1 Like

LOL James… Good morning!

2 Likes

confused huh? Well, my brain is not functioning today. It’s been a long week lol

1 Like

E. Fuller Torrey, of the Treatment Advocacy Center, King of Cat Poop

2 Likes

It’s only bad to handle cat poop WHEN YOU ARE PREGNANT.

So tell her she can’t get pregnant now…you have a huge excuse for your reasoning ! :slight_smile:

http://www.petmd.com/cat/care/evr_ct_pregnancy_and_cat_litter_toxoplasmosis

1 Like

Cat poo has been around for much longer than the symptoms of schizophrenia were first described(in the 16/17th c ?) If cat poo is the answer then that suggests schizophrenia has been around since the stone age.

2 Likes

I think you’re referring to the toxoplasmosis parasite right? It’s the one that lives in cat crap, gets ingested by a rat and makes it actively seek out cats to ultimately end up inside a cat again? I heard a massive percent of people are infected with it and they used to think it was benign, but recently discovered that cat -> rat -> cat cycle. Since it can affect a rats brain, it could try to affect ours. It’s thought that if it does try to affect ours, the symptoms could be anything, including the symptoms of SZ. Though that’s just a theory though, nobody knows how they affect the human brain or even if the do at all.

1 Like

I have cats but they don’t eat rats. They are indoor cats. I’ve tried to go out with them but they hate it.

1 Like

Yes, I was…that can pass through the placenta if the Mom gets infected with it, so it could definitely harm a developing baby. Whether or not it would cause Sz is unknown, but its not good…

2 Likes

we had a cat a huge black fluffy persian.
sometimes i would pass by it’s litter tray, and i swear she would look at me and then pee over the edge missing the litter tray entirely.
then get out , walk past me, and say, " clean it up dummy ".
take care

1 Like

@darksith my cat would stand in the litter box but completely miss and poop on the floor, then look at it and take the litter and scoop it out of the box and bury it in a tiny pile of litter. Lol Also my son tried to use the litter box one time when he was little.

2 Likes

cats rule…at least your son was aiming for something !..lol
take care

1 Like

“Exposure is also possible through contact with contaminated soil or raw meat.”

Hummm… A lot of soil is contaminated with something and cooking is the handling of raw meat.

So if a woman is pregnant, they shouldn’t garden or cook either.

Curses… That’s why I have Sz. My Mom once changed a little box, did some cooking AND planted a rose bush. Yep that is exactly how I ended up with my problems… MOM! (just being snarky, I love my mom and I dislike the “lets blame Mom for being bad during pregnancy” theories.)

On a serious note… there is some good pondering in the article provided. I guess it’s good for people to know that there is a risk. I also think, if it’s an indoor cat with a clean bill of health, that risk would be gone wouldn’t it?

1 Like

Gloves for doing garden and wash real good after cooking…but there is something about cat poop that is worse…you can just smell it ! Ew!

My Mom took barbiturates the doctor gave her, and drank occasional wine while pregnant… and she smoked cigs too…this would explain the photo of me trying to snag my grandfathers pall malls from his shirt pocket when I am like 1 year old in the crib, and me stealing the babysitters beer when i was 18 months old.
However I won’t blame Mom…the doctors and society thought it was all ok at the time…

1 Like

The cat poo theory came to me by a doc at a very silly time. It was one of the things that really stuck into my head like a thin spike.

I was homeless until I got pulled into hospital, I was in detox. I was so confused and dazed. I was just trying to pull my head back together. Everything was so fuzzy. I do remember being afraid of the big green wavy moat… (aka the front lawn)

I was being detoxed from the largest alcoholic bender, I had blood alcohol poisoning, I was taking amphetamines, and XTC like there was no tomorrow, and I would smoke as much pot as I could get my hands on… My physical health was at an all time low too.

then this doc comes with this clip board and starts talking about onset before puberty and this cat poo thing… yeah… it wasn’t the years of drugs and drinking, it was some cat poo that my Mom might have touched some 17 years previous when she was 1 week pregnant with me. That is how I ended up here in hospital… it wasn’t the drugs or illness at all.

I’ve sort of mocked this theory ever since. I should be nicer about it.

1 Like

Was he quite serious? OMG! Very…um…different.

If I really stretch the memory… I do remember a bit of the doc reading my file about life when I was little and all my ADHD antics and PTSD incidents…

then all these theories just started coming at me… that cat poo one was a clinker for me… I was just thinking… are you kidding me? You just lost it too huh?

2 Likes