Can you talk someone out of schizophrenia

as a caregiver I know this one all too well you wish you could talk sense or even hard knowledge to help one with schizophrenia it is not until the ability is there that it happens many of time we tend to forgetwe tend to forget that we put too many safeguards and block this process from happening yes Virginia there is no Santa Claus

I don’t think you can. It’s really hard to change someone’s beliefs, even if they aren’t related to mental illness. Throw in a lack of logic into the mix and it’s near impossible.

I think it’s more you talk someone into rather than out of schizophrenia. I mean you can influence the thinking of someone with schizophrenia to a small degree, and eventually they may come to accept treatment and the diagnosis. This forum is full of people like that (including me). It doesn’t come from nagging and yelling and frustration however. It comes from extreme patience and understanding.

You can try and talk them out of a paranoid state of mind, my mom did that with me when I was thinking irrationally /delusional causing severe panic attacks. Also one time at my best-friends house I was going into a panic attack because of some delusional thinking and she sat there and calmly talked to me helping me out of the state of mind. Schizophrenia will always be in me, until some day when they find a cure, but you can try and help the person out of irrational thinking, so long as they trust you and feel you’re not against them. It also depends on how deep into the delusions they really are. We were able to control mine because we caught the thinking/behavior early on and were able to prevent it from getting to severe.

The most important thing is to make sure the Schizophrenic doesn’t feel threatened or intimidated by you. You may be very close to the person but in delusional thinking this may not matter. They may be paranoid that everyone (including you) is out to get them. Do not take this personal as it is a common fear among Schizophrenics. Just try to keep the situation calm, no raised voices, no blaming, no accusations. If it doesn’t hurt them and doesn’t hurt anyone else at the moment, you may try and agree with them…whatever it maybe. With my instance I believed I was infected with crabs…which I wasn’t but I would have sworn I was, believed I could even see them on me. My mom was like, okay then we can go to the drug store and get treatment for that if really need to.

At my friends, she had just bought a new bed and as I was getting into it one night one of the baseboards broke and I was afraid it was my fault and she’d hate me forever, and since she lives 2 hours away from my house and I didn’t have another way home other than her driving me I was worried I’d be trapped with someone who hated me. Turns out she wasn’t mad at me or blamed me because she had the bed on warranty and calmly explained that I didn’t do anything to the bed, it was just shotty workmanship, and she had it replaced the next day. I was getting myself all worked up into a panic over nothing.

So the imortant thing is you can talk someone out of delusional thinking, but you can’t talk away Schizophrenia. It’s more deeply routed than the thoughts that person is experiencing at the time.

2 Likes

MY sister can always set my head straight she points out the holes in my logic of event s that did or did not happen.
i have a problem asking for help WHEN i need it i have a block i just CANT.

Intellectualization can be effective. My therapist just teaches me the hard facts and it has brought me further than I ever imagined. Yes, I have some struggles but I always come through- I just know myself and know my illness. Whether it’s a nap or a few cups of tea or whatever, I always fix myself and check myself before I completely wreck myself. I function very highly, and I have sort of been talked out of giving into the illness- keep in mind that I am on medications- I just took one of them with dinner. Drinking tea to combat my headache. All was not well last night and this morning but now it is. Knowledge, intellect saved my day- I knew what what wrong and how to fix it.

1 Like

You can’t talk someone out of it completely maybe, but if someone rationally explains your errors in perception, even while in mania or psychosis, it is remembered. As long as you have a way to accept it. I don’t think talk can eliminate the severe symptoms, though. If it can that would be great. Carl Jung thought therapies could cure schizophrenia, and he spent a major portion of his life studying it.

If there was something for the emotional pain, apathy, all the psychological effects of schizophrenia that would be great alongside talk therapy. If therapy was evolved enough to really get through to someone in psychosis, it would be worth it. But a lot of people refuse to seek help, also refuse to realize they are sick. It’s not their fault or choice, a major symptom of schizophrenia is not knowing when you are sick vs well. That’s what scares me the most about it.

You can talk people out of delusions - I talked myself out of my first ones after several months of sticking to them. I thought the hallucinations would go away as well if I would convince myself thoroughly enough of their unwantedness. It turned out they only became less salient, but were there 24/7 regardless. It might have worked if I continued longer but I decided to ‘come out of the closet’ as a psychotic and went to the doctor to ask for medication. I took the easy way out, but my psychiatrist later told me that it could have worked if I had pushed hard/long enough. I am happy with what I had achieved without assistence though and for now I just stick with medication. What helped for me was to conceive of delusions as an interpretation, not a true/false reality. This way I had autonomy over them, because other interpretations are possible as well, and I could choose which would serve me best. This connects to the (chinese?) proverb that if the world won’t change, change your attitude towards it. I identified motives of feeling special and social contact upon self-reflection, underlying and supporting my telepathic delusions. I also decided that I would rather change these motives or satisfy them in different ways, with different interpretations, because the telepathy interpretation was causing me too much distress. It came down to me being so pissed off with my voices that I chose not to see them as humans anymore. Maybe it takes a bit of philosophy to come to see that reality is a matter of interpretation and decision when it comes down to it. I’m glad I was armed with that bit.

Personally, I find the negative symptoms harder to talk myself out of, primarily because the lack of motivation to dig deep and change my way of life. While I am psychotic, I don’t experience a lack of motivation at all - quite the contrary, and I can use this to turn it against the delusions. In remission I am less motivated and while this is itself a negative symptom it makes it difficult to start changing things about my lifestyle as well, which risks becoming a vicious circle. I do believe in the end a top down remedy is possible, but both top-down and bottom-up is probably most efficient, the quickest and the easiest - though possibly not the most satisfying.