Can you lose SSDI if you go to college half-time (6hrs)?

One of the local colleges waiving tuition & fees if you are 60 or older. I was thinking about going back to college after all these years for something to do. I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle or not. My sister is afraid I’ll lose my SSDI if I become a student.

Also is a low-end laptop computer sufficient for college work? I was looking at $200 to $400 ones. I wouldn’t use it for gaming or stuff like that. An internet connection only in my apartment building is currently $34 a month. That includes modem and router with wifi.

1 Like

What would you study?

1 Like

Depends on what you use the laptop for. If it is just writing essays, researching on websites, reading PDF’s, sending emails, stuff like that then a $200 dollar laptop is fine. If you are taking a computer science degree in advanced AI you may need something more powerful

2 Likes

Thanks @Headspark @anon84461028. I was going to try for a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, not an IT degree.

I see no reason why you would lose SSDI for going to back to college.

1 Like

Then a $200 dollar laptop is probably fine.

1 Like

Thanks @Headspark

1 Like

I checked into housing, and it won’t be affected because I won’t receive Financial Aid.

1 Like

I chose Sociology because the only prerequisites are English Composition I and a math course on a College Algebra level.

1 Like

Hmm. I never would’ve thought that they would penalize you for going to school. I guess I was at least partially wrong. Seems like they can if they feel your going to college is equal to you working.

1 Like

They seem to penalize you for everything. It is very hard to get ahead while on disability. I’ve heard people complain about it in a lot of countries.

1 Like

“The Social Security Administration may assume you can do full-time work if the amount of time you dedicate to class and homework totals up to the roughly 30 or 40 hours. They may come to this conclusion since that allotment of time equals that of a typical work week.”

Maybe just go part time? Or just take one class at a time?

I was able to complete two associates degrees because I only had a science class left to complete.

1 Like

Well I wasn’t planning on taking more than two classes. I’m not really sure if I can handle that much. I was thinking I should try and see though.

1 Like

Right on! Yeah just take a couple and see how you handle them. That’s pretty awesome about the senior discount. My community college does something similar.

1 Like

Thanks @Montezuma

1 Like

I was living in a board & care home from 1990-95. I took two classes per semester for 5 years. Then I stopped. I was working part-time the entire time and they didn’t take my SSDI away. I was 30-35 years old.
Cut to: 2009. Started taking one online course at a time while working part time. Now I’m 60 and I still take one online class at a time and still work part time and have still been on SSDI.

I need three more classes for my degree.

I’m on a $600 DELL laptop.

1 Like

I got a 1st class hons. degree in Sociology

Loved the subject.

Literally it caters for everyone who studies it

My love of Sociology is the Grand-Theories and Classical-Theory

Many find it boring, but I don’t like the fad stuff

I also majored in History

2 Likes

Thanks @77nick77 @Joker

1 Like