Can you "be yourself" or do you always have to put on an act?

I can’t be anyone else but me unfortunately

2 Likes

I just be myself, all out there! If people don’t like me then screw them.

1 Like

I can be myself but not around ppl with disgusting yuky vibes.

Lol.

2 Likes

I’m always myself, but to a fault. It’s better to be able to adjust somewhat depending on the situation but I’m not good at that.

1 Like

Ldopa increases dopamine like adhd meds but much weaker, it makes my negative symptoms better but it made my positive symptoms worse i started hearing voices eventhough i was on working meds. Stimulants would give me instant psychosis even if i am on good meds, also my pdoc refused to prescribe me adderall as he said it will make me psychotic

Also stimulants increase dopamine while aps block dopamine, they counteract each other. Its better to just taper off or reduce antipsychotics as this too will increase dopamine even more

Im similar. Very similar. Text is easier to express my personality than in person

2 Likes

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely Players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,

1 Like

I am not the same as before sz, my personality got worse anger issues, impatient, careless, impulsive, etc

1 Like

I don’t feel like myself if I’m being suppressed and am around people who dislike me and I feel bad vibes from them.

I don’t want to be around people who disrespect me and i don’t feel comfortable around them and avoid them .

I also feel like this neighbourhood doesn’t “allow” Mr space to exist and be …

They have been bullies to me with vibes I think.
I’m beyond an outsider.

I honestly don’t feel like myself often.
I never felt like myself as a child.
As an adult atleast I feel like myself sometimes.

I think I felt like myself with my x in sa and my last x.

My bestie too.
But we don’t have contact in person.

I love being myself when I’m with bestie who is funniest ever and laugh together etc
I love feeling like myself n feeling good.

I can’t stand people who don’t let me be kinda n always suppressing and being horrible and attacking with bad vibes or fakeness.

1 Like

Yeah its a risk. But not unheard of. do you have adhd? Ive had adhd stimlants a fair few times and they never effected my sza positive symptoms. Its pretty difficult to trigger positive symptoms in my case it seems. I need to be on no medication and be stressed out and get no sleep for multiple days in a row. At least thats how its happened the last couple times years ago now.

1 Like

Not diagnosed with it but my dr prescribed me wellbutrin for negative symptoms, it works the same as stimulants, it increases norepinephrine and dopamine. What is the difference between adhd and negative and cognitive symtoms of sz? They seem very similar and caused by low dopamine in certain brain regions

1 Like

It’s difficult to be myself as the me is mentally ill.

1 Like

Yeah your right, they have similarities. I guess one of the things is adhd is from birth. It rarely starts later in life like sz. Just might go unnoticed for a long time and get finally recognised at later stages of life. I dont know the ins and outs really. But i just feel in my case, my quality of life would be a lot better if it got treated along with my sza. All my pdocs over the years have suspected i have it. Im not getting my hopes up too much though. I have a lot working against me to make the doc too wary of helping me with it. But who know.

1 Like

yes, i’m myself all the time…back before I got sick I would kind of fine tune my personality to mirror the other person…weird.

1 Like

I can rarely be myself, and if I were, people would probably try to assault me. Mostly because they hate the truth.

1 Like

i found myself by doing things i either enjoyed before i was diagnosed with sz or else things i wanted to do then but couldn’t. it made the child in me come back and that helped.

judy

1 Like

Many years ago I had a professor tell me that everyone wears a mask. She meant that everyone acts differently depending on the situation. I told her that I don’t wear a mask. I’m the same in all situations. Looking back I now agree with her.

As for sz/sza symptoms, I do put on an act (I don’t talk about how bad I’m feeling). I can be myself (truly talking about my symptoms) to my girlfriend, my family, and her family.

1 Like

I think that’s called masking and can be a sign of ASD I believe.

1 Like
2 Likes

Never quite figured out what I am supposed to be. I think the question is more are you who you want to be? At the end of the day we don’t know what we are so we can’t judge if we are being ourselves, life to me is more a discovery of what we can be, what we are has nothing to do with it because we are not one thing and not the other, we are both, some we are while in balance, some we are while out of balance, some we are while in a different balance, some we are while acting, some we are while not acting but there’s truth about who we are whether we are acting, moderating our behaviour or just doing whatever we are inclined to do.

Plus things aren’t this clear cut, by default we do what we want to do but then we are told to care about other people’s perspectives and this leads us to learn how we affect others and that in turn puts us back into the choice of reverting to acting without a care or start mild manipulations to keep morale up which in turn teach you how to manipulate in general and often lead to more manipulations. I have a friend that is often upset with me because I don’t put in any effort to manipulate him. He is that desperate for validation that he’d like everything I say to be put in a key that would boost his self-esteem whenever possible.

I don’t have to put on an act but, when I do put on an act I am acting no more than I was before, all that changes is the amount of energy I am expending goes above what I perceive as homeostasis but I am every bit myself regardless of whether I have to put in effort or not and, even when I am playing a part I am still being myself, just myself in that part.

What, do you think you’d behave, believe or think the same way if you were shorter, taller, fatter, fitter or with a different race, face, family or upbringing? No, you would not, you are being delusional if you think your beliefs, thoughts, feelings, words and actions are representative of who you are. They represent your life way more than they represent you, at most they can be representative of who your life can turn you into, which isn’t who you are.

I think the idea of being your genuine self is as meaningless as they come. You both can’t be yourself because life puts all sorts of constrains on who you can and can’t be and you can’t help but being yourself because within those constrains whatever you end up being is who you would be, which can be more or less representative of who you are depending on the circumstances.

That’s how I see it.

1 Like