Can someone compare Typical and Atypical aps?

I have taken only quetiapine and Invega as my atypical APs and currently haldol as my typical ap. I find atypicals much more drowsing and caused my a lot more movement disorders than haldol. Both on risperidone and quetiapine i had restless legs at night. My ocd was much more on risperidone. However negative symptoms were much lesser on risperidone. Haldol controls my positives pretty well. I relapsed while on Invega so switched to haldol. Haldol takes much more time to work than Invega.

Well, officially, the older aps the typical are said to have a higher risk of movement conditions such as tardive dyskinesia BUT that doesn’t mean you would definitely get that it varies from individual to individual

Haldol gave me a horrible case of restless leg syndrome. When I was laying in bed I couldn’t go 3 seconds without having to kick my legs. It also made me really dizzy, I couldn’t stand still without feeling like I was going to topple over. I was only on it a few weeks but the dizziness lasted for months,

Statistically haldol and the older ‘typical’ medications are much more likely to cause movement disorders like tardive dyskensia. Haldol is known for causing it.

I’ve had better luck with the atypicals. Olanzapine and lurasidone have worked, lurasidone works much better at a lower dose relative to olanzapine, and without all the metabolic side effects olanzapine gave me. Abilify didn’t have any side effects but didn’t work at all.

Right now I am on 60mg of Lurasidone and very happy with it.

Typical antipsychotics have much much higher dopamine blockade than atypicals. Longterm use of typical antipsychotics such as thorazine for example, especially on a higher dose, is very likely to lead to TD. They are also associated with more side effects in general.

Atypical antipsychotics, for example Rexulti, have a lower dopamine blockade and bind more selectively, in theory giving them less side effects and according to research significantly decreasing their chance to cause TD when used long term.

However keep in mind that everyone’s body’s reacts differently to medications and won’t necessarily fit the research. You could absolutely have someone who gets no side effects at all on Haldol, a typical antipsychotic, but had terrible experiences with abilify, an atypical antipsychotic.

There is some research that even suggests any improvements made between these two classes of antipsychotics are minimal if they even exist at all, and that it was basically just an attempt to make the drugs more marketable. So who knows.

3 Likes

All the typicals make me move weird. One time I was on Prolixin, and they took me to an assisted living center. They took me to this room that was packed with people watching this western movie on a tv screen. I had to be up pacing. I kept getting up, and this girl kept trying to get me to sit down. I don’t know if she was in any official position of authority or not. After they let us out of that room I went to the dining hall and ate supper, and then I went out on the highway and hitch hiked home.

1 Like

I heard in a presentation that the typical APs only affect dopamine, but the atypical ones affect other neurotransmitters as well.

2 Likes

I take a typical AP perphenazine and I’m on atypical AP Invega. I find that the older APs work better for the positive symptoms than the new APs. Also invega messes with my sexual desire, and makes me gain weight. But all in all I’m satisfied with my meds regiment.

I didn’t do well on typicals. Lots of akasthesia and dystonic reactions.
First med that worked well for me was Zyprexa.

Take best of the two rworlds
So did I with incredible good results

I know this remark will make me unpopular but I prefere by far typicals with the exception of Geodon and Latuda over the atypical. Most because the atypical are notorious for causing the metabolic syndrome and that’s why I’ve decided to tapper down on my Seroquel from 400 mgs to who knows.