Can I take all my seroquel 600mg (immediate release) once at night?

The health board where I live is leaning on psychiatrists to reduce the amount of seroquel XR being prescribed. As a result my prescription is now 600mg immediate release.

I took 300mg this morning and it wrecked me. So sedated, lack of motivation and jeez - incredible hunger which couldn’t be satisfied. I am not looking forward to tonight’s dose. I was fine on the XR I mean hardly any side effects.

My question is will the immediate release last 24 hours? I mean taking all 600mg at night.

J

It will probably just knock you out and leave your system. That said, it’s worth a shot. My morning dose of Geodon kept knocking me out, so I tried taking both at night. It ended up not working as well, and it made me exhausted in the morning anyways. I just had to cut out the morning dose altogether (with a doctor’s permission, of course). Maybe you can ask your doc to put you back on the XR dose, because the immediate doesn’t work well for you.

1 Like

I have immediate release. 300 mg. I take it in the evening. I sleep well on it. Takes about an hour for me to be really really tired.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. Just checked - my prescription is actually for all 600mg at night. Will do this for a week and see how I get on.

Along with a few others I am on a long acting typical depot… Hopefully this med takes care of the symptoms - allowing me to take the quetiapine once at night.

1 Like

I live in the uk so here the NHS covers the cost of meds. Apparently the health board that provides my care spends more than any other on seroquel XR. The pressure on psychiatrists is purely about money.

It annoys me cos 95% of folk taking seroquel XR will likely be schizophrenic or bipolar - pretty vulnerable group to disadvantage I say. But then again it is a population that historically hasn’t had much of a voice in this country.

Apparently it has gone generic over here but think it costs something like £200 a month still. My family has put pressure on me to stand up to the pdocs and only take the XR. I spoke to my CPN about it but he thought I wouldn’t notice much of a difference between the XR and immediate: ■■■■■■■■. If they had to take this crap they would say otherwise.

Really annoying thing is I was doing so well on the XR. Was going out and losing weight - this is likely to be much harder now on the immediate. Pisses me off.

as long as you have health insurance that will pay…when I was uninsured a monthly supply for the drug would cost me about $230…I used to have to get free samples from my doctor until I got on Medicare’s prescription drug plan.

You should really insist. When I was on Medicaid, they initially refused to pay for my Geodon unless I tried a bunch of other, less expensive meds first. My doctor and I fought with them until they agreed that in my case, I would be better off staying on Geodon, because of the extreme reactions I have had to other drugs. When do you see your doctor next? I bet if you tell her it isn’t working, she will put you back on the XR.

1 Like

Someone said it’s worth a shot…it isn’t. Taking it all at bedtime will leave your brain needing more the next day because it has a short half-life. That’s why IR is prescribed 2 or more times a day. That’s why XR exists in the first place. Don’t play with the fire that is Seroquel - you’ll get burnt.

1 Like

i was talking to you before about this. it seems that your not only on this, for AP effects only , but as an anxiety busting measure or for mood stabilization. Its IR and chances are its not going to last you the full day…

1 Like

also 600 at night is a massive hit and your going to wakeup with quite the hangover…

1 Like

I just started on Seroquel two months ago. I first took 200mg then it was cut back to 100mg and now I am back to 200mg. It helps me to sleep at night. I don’t know if I would take all 600mg at one time. It would probably knock you out. I would ask your doctor. Oh another thing At first I got really dry mouth. That went away after about a month and a half. so if you have that hang in there…it gets better.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

I think 600mg at night is a bad idea - it is clear it won’t last 24 hours and it is a sedator big time.

I will stay on 300mg twice daily for a few days and see how it goes. Am meeting my CPN on Wednesday for my depot. If I am still having a hard time I think I will just tell I refuse to take IR anymore.

It is so strange that the IR and XR have a totally different side effect profile. On the XR it felt like I wasn’t on anything at all - the IR feels like ■■■■■■ ketamine or something.

yeah , thats why.

you would be on xr , if you werent dealing with anxiety or mood problems , id imagine , but ask your doc why you are on ir.

Hey @Meteor. You have a good memory! Yeah they also give me 25mg quetiapine for anxiety. Doesn’t work in the slightest. Problem is they don’t like to give benzo where I live (massive black market for prescription drugs).

Am questioning my pdoc. He just substituted my 600mg XR for 600mg IR overnight. No weening on or off. If I had taken the full 600 I reckon I could have had a bad problem. Feeling really spaced out as it is on 300.

NO dude don’t do it! It’s never that bad! Everyone just stop with the suicide!