Can I Have a Baby if I Have Schizophrenia?

https://healthnews.com/family-health/pregnancy/can-i-have-a-baby-if-i-have-schizophrenia/

If you have schizophrenia and have become or desire to become pregnant, it is incredibly important to consider the impact that pregnancy and parenthood will have on you and your child. Many times, pregnancies of schizophrenic patients are unplanned.

2 Likes

On a moderation level, there is nothing violating the rules in your post and the article itself is fine.

On a personal level, the text you chose to highlight rubs me the wrong way. It appears as if you are discouraging schizophrenics from having children.

This is a very personal choice. Depending on the source, I think the chances of having a schizophrenic child with one parent with schizophrenia is only like 6% to 10%.
It’s true that parents should way their options, I just found the choice of what you highlighted a bit offputting.

I would advise those schizophrenics who want to conceive to read the full article and not just the highlighted text and of course, to do more research outside of this article before making a decision.

7 Likes

Yes you can but it is ultimately up to you whether to have or not, like any other person.

3 Likes

I agree with @Bowens,

But I’m also a woman and know that big hormonal push to get pregnant.

Most women have babies regardless of health issues.

Regardless of all sorts of issues really.

Like stated above the odds of your child having schizophrenia are low, but very possible.

It’s a personal decision, still I do think more women in general need to do a better evaluation of if they would be a good parent and genuinely want a child.

That’s what it should really be about.

Women get to a certain age and it’s weird to not have a baby.

People think something is wrong with you.

We need to stop doing that and respect women’s choices when it comes to having/not having children.

5 Likes

I think the reality is that many people with SZ or even SZA would not be ideal parents.

For myself I know I will have periods where I am completely unable to be a parent. And in general I like not being responsible for someone else - even for a dog. I like being left to my own devices. I also don’t work so being able to provide for them would be a huge challenge. I have enough difficulties making my self happy, I don’t need to try and meet someone elses needs.

Everyone should be more critical about whether having kids is actually good for them/theyd be good as a parent. Maybe you are in position where you would be a good parent. IDK.

But whether mentally ill people (regardless of specific diagnosis) can meet the needs of a child is a real problem- the idea that its all just discriminatory and not based on reality is very ignorant.

I knew someone who had their kid taken away from them because they were deemed not capable as a mother. She was understandably deeply upset about it but its definitely for the best.

1 Like

I have no intention of having kids. Someone else deciding for an individual if mentally ill people in general can make good parents sounds like the stuff of the Nazis to me, and not the direction that we want to go in.

Outside of occasional laziness, I think I would make a good parent, if I so choose to do so. I am stable and capable. It’s not something I want to do, however.

I think lumping all mentally ill people in a group like this not good. And that type of thinking could even be dangerous and damaging if it were to be mainstream thought.

This is a personal decision for each individual to make IMO. And should not be decided or frowned upon by others.

4 Likes

it depends on the person i think. Some people can’t raise children i guess and some can. But I don’t think sz itself can say if you could have children. Some with sz can and some can’t. i myself accepted that children are not for me but i have my nieces and nephew and they are a bit like my kids =)

3 Likes

Very much eugenics and disgraceful to see that type of thinking here.

2 Likes

I don’t see the harm in questioning whether people should have kids if they are not capable of raising them. You are basically applauding child abuse/neglect if that question is considered taboo.

2 Likes

Based on your original post, the issue really comes down to whether or not you think someone else should be deciding if a person can have children because they have a mental illness.

I don’t. If someone proves unable take care of a child, there are safeguards in place to take care of that.

But, IMO, you can’t have someone else deciding who can have kids. Who is going to make the decision? Government? Society?

There are plenty of people here with mental illness who are fine parents.

These choices on whether or not someone should reproduce should be left to the individuals in question, IMO

4 Likes

Excuse me? I would think before posting that sort of comment.

3 Likes

The World Health Organization defines reproductive rights as follows:[2]

Reproductive rights rest on the recognition of the basic right of all couples and individuals to decide freely and responsibly the number, spacing and timing of their children and to have the information and means to do so, and the right to attain the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health. They also include the right of all to make decisions concerning reproduction free of discrimination, coercion and violence.

1 Like

Yeah that seems rational.

I guess I just think its a fact that there are people with MH issues who would really struggle to raise kids properly, and specifically because of their MH issues. It doesn’t do any harm questioning whether I as an individual would actually be able to manage/cope and whether its a good idea for me personally etc.

But you’re right, Im sure there are parents with MH who are capable too.

You’re the one suggesting that to seriously consider whether one can raise kids themselves due to impairments is “eugenics”.

It feels like you’re landing at the conclusion of your opinion and expecting us to accept it as a framework of logic.

1 Like

Did you not read the second post that had the information? This is not opinion. You are literally promoting eugenics.

Please read the following

eu¡gen¡ics

/yo͞oˈjeniks/

noun

1. the study of how to arrange reproduction within a human population to increase the occurrence of heritable characteristics regarded as desirable.

Developed largely by Sir Francis Galton as a method of improving the human race, eugenics was increasingly discredited as unscientific and racially biased during the 20th century, especially after the adoption of its doctrines by the Nazis in order to justify their treatment of Jews, disabled people, and other minority groups.

But you’re missing the whole point there. Eugenics isn’t done onto ones self.
If I decide not to have kids because I don’t think Id be a good dad due to my MH am I committing eugenics?

The article literally just asks one to “consider”. Not forcibly forbids people to reproduce.

1 Like

I’ve done the labor. It is up to you from here to educate yourself and perhaps learn some empathy instead of living with internalized stigma.

This comment says mentally ill people. You refer to self and also to others.

If you do not choose children,more power to you. But thinking that choice should be made FOR others is eugenics.

1 Like

I’m closing this because the topic is upsetting to some to read.

1 Like