Blunted emotion

Yesterday i was with some friends driving in a different car behind them a few cars and someone drove head on into there vehicle at high speed. Totalled the cars, a few people had concussions and broken bones but there ok. Ambulances took them away

Is it strange that i dont react emotionally to anything like that?
My gf says i dont really react to stuff.
I wonder if its part of mental illness. I think i just detach from stuff a lot

I wonder if its related to either blunted emotion or inappropriate affect.

3 Likes

Flat effect maybe ?

But geez, I’m glad nobody was seriously hurt.

1 Like

It sounds like flat effect.

1 Like

Yeah it was quite outragaeous the accident. Hope the guy that hit them loses there license

1 Like

I am the same and sometimes even want to laugh in such bad situations. It sounds evil but its inappropriate affect. Though most of the time I am flat no emotions. Before sz I was only a tiny bit better in that regard.

1 Like

The inappropriate affect is much worse off meds though. When I stopped my meds for 2yrs I was in class in university and started laughing alone nonstop for no reason while the teacher was talking. I couldn’t control myself so went outside. I think meds don’t actually fix the problem but instead suppress emotions altogether, the good and the bad.

2 Likes

Something similar happened to me a guy on a motorcycle hit the taxi i was on, and i didn’t react

2 Likes

I laugh alone too for no reason, specially when theres nobody home.

1 Like

Ah yeah i do recall when i was psychotic in 2010 that I was laughing at my grandpas funeral, my parents kept trying to silence me.
Truly i didnt find anything actually funny. It was this laughter that kept building up in my body for no reason.

2 Likes

I think for me emotions are the most affected by my sz as my emotions weren’t normal even before the sz but my motivation was good before the sz. Though now with sz and meds both are bad lol

1 Like

Maybe we are used to seeing people in the media and movies reacting so hecticly for entertainment purposes and mistake that for how we should react in real life when there is a car crash or whatever haha. Probably not but I think its actually useful to be able to remain calm and collected in heavy situations like that.

1 Like

I would be thinking… Wow that could have been me but it wasn’t.

1 Like

But perhaps also… Omg that’s bad… I don’t really know as I have not been in such a situation

1 Like

I find the wrong things funny. You’re not supposed to watch Dexter or Hannibal as a comedy. I have had to learn to be careful about laughing out loud.

With accidents, they don’t affect me unless there are kids or dogs/cats involved. I don’t know why I feel worse about a cat being hurt than a human, but that’s how I’m wired I guess.

Next bit might be triggering…

I was first responder at a bad accident a few years back. One person didn’t make it. The mom and kids in a mini van were banged up, but nothing life-threatening. Mostly handled it dispassionately except for threatening to duct tape the mom’s mouth shut if she didn’t shaddap. Got a guy bleeding out and she’s screaming at me to look at a cut on the boy’s arm. It wasn’t that serious and all she had to do was keep pressure on it like I told her to.

Having the dude die in front of me messed me up and I felt that for a while. I also don’t like blood and I was covered in it. It shows up in my nighmares every so often, or variations of it.

5 Likes

That’s a distinct possibility. I’m the same way. It runs in our family. Any time there is a funeral or something we look at it like the person lived a long and happy life, and they have nothing to fear from death.

2 Likes

Paramedics encounter some grisly accidents doing their job. Most people burn out on it before they reach their pension.

2 Likes

Once was enough. Don’t need any more of that in my life.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.