Flat affect

I tend to not show any sort of emotion or surprise on my face at all unless I’m acting and putting it on to seem more normal. It’s very exhausting to force it.
Anyone else have flat affect or feel like they act a lot?

3 Likes

yeah. it’s not that I’m frowning, but I suppose it seems like that.

1 Like

Off my meds I can’t even imagine what kind of faces I could have made but sometimes aware of I dunno how to explain would give me I think a very fixated stare at least it felt that way to say the least. On meds yeah it seems like my overall everything is pretty flat.

1 Like

I’m in the same situation. But the only time I act, is when I try to be upbeat for my little nieces whenever I see them.

2 Likes

Yep, I tend to just mirror whatever expression the person I’m with has on their face. Otherwise I just look like I’m either bored, upset or angry, none of which is typically accurate. I can be having a great time and just not look the part.

1 Like

I often have to fake emotional expression. If I don’t force it then I seem like I don’t care about what other people have to say or about what’s going on in the moment. It’s exhausting having to keep it up all the time. Some days I just don’t have the energy to keep it up. People usually ask me what’s wrong on those days when in reality I’m just tired

1 Like

Yeah, I experience the flat effect. I wouldn’t say it’s an extreme case, but it is definitely something that affects me. I am not a super emotional person. They spoke about this in the psych ward group meetings. There are basically two types of people. Those who skew towards emotion and those the skew towards rationality. They called them the emotional mind and the rational mind. The goal is to combine them and develop a wise mind. I tend to be a rationally minded person.

I laugh at comedy, and I was upset when my last dog died but I am not a super emotional person. Sometimes I genuinely like talking to people but occasionally I act or fake it too, depends on who I am talking too and what I am talking about and my mood that particular day.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.