Bipolar and schitzophrenia

What makes a clear distinction between the two. I’m looking to treat voices in my head and suicidal ideation. But I’m not sure what I have. I’m pretty sure when I go to get it treated i will find out but I currently have an understanding. I want to know what do you think it would be. Currently a voice in my head just says suicide all day long. Claims to be dead family or some ■■■■. I don’t buy it. But where do you think the line is drawn.

Do you feel you are either manic or depressed when your hearing voices?
If so then you could have bipolar.

But if your moods are stable and your hallucinating then it could be SZA or SZ.

5 Likes

@anon65370271
Have you scheduled an appointment with a doctor? Have you made a list of all your symptoms?

I agree with @Wave. Both conditions are treated with APs and if you’re schizoaffective or bipolar you may need a mood stabilizer, too. Be sure and let your pdoc know all that’s going on with you as only he or she can properly diagnose you.

1 Like

@Wave
That was the most intelligent, clear, informed response I’ve ever heard to this question. Grateful you are on the forum. You are helpful.

1 Like

Thank you @FlyingPurplePeopleMeeter! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m always in a mixed state. It can be a good one or a bad one. It’s never one or the other all the time. It’s both but to different degrees. I have obsessive thoughts also.

Join the club, i’m the same way.

1 Like

What is your dianosis??? I

I have more mixed episodes the older i get. My proc said this is typical for people with a bipolar illness. I am schizoaffective bipolar type.

I’m 19. I’m hoping ECT works. Seems to work for a lot of these problems from what I have read.

I have 2 different diagnoses.
Schizoaffective bipolar type and bipolar.

What’s the difference. Isn’t schitzoaffective bipolar with psychotic symptoms can.

Have you exhausted the medication route? I thought ECT was only a last-ditch thing when the meds didn’t work. 19 is pretty young.

I was on Seroquel and I didn’t like it. I just am at the ■■■■ it point. So if it don’t work. It don’t work.

I’ve tried a lot of meds over they years. Some worked better than others. Some didn’t work at all. I’m on Latuda now and it seems to be working okay. That and a small dose of sertraline.

1 Like

They are very similar - SZA bipolar type and Bipolar with psychotic features.

The main difference is that hallucinations and/or delusions that occur during a mood episode could mean that you have bipolar, but if you hallucinate or have delusions when your moods are stable then it could be SZ or SZA.

It gets tricky.
It’s a fine line.

1 Like

@anon65370271
There are a LOT of meds they can try you on. Do you have a doctor? Did someone suggest ECT to you or you researched it?

I’m never not unstable. I think that’s the worst part. That might not make sense but I always have a voice of reason. I’m never fully out of it. It’s good so I don’t go off the wagon but it’s bad because I can see the extent I have ■■■■■■ things up.

2 Likes

Researched and they all gave me Seroquel. If they were falling out of a plane. Id give them a life preserver.