Being offered meds for the first time

i’m nervous about side effects! the doctor recommended abilify because i’m VERY scared about ballooning and abilify is meant to be not so bad for weight gain (i have a long history of EDs). but i also want to get my life back on track and go back to work.
any words of reassurance? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ED = Eating disorder

4 Likes

My bad! I just hate it when people use erectile dysfunction as a means of not taking meds

2 Likes

I’m on abilify 15mg. It’s kept me out of hospital for 7 years.

1 Like

:joy_cat: haha i don’t have a penis so no difference to me!

2 Likes

You want this formula:

Calories burned > calories consumed

4 Likes

if they give me 5mg i will immediately think of your subheading/signature thing :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

1 Like

Hah sorry.

You’ll be fine on the meds, I haven’t gained any weight on risperidone but I dont overeat, sometimes I do but it takes a surplus of 3500 kcal to gain 1lb of fat in a day

Lol. They might actually give you 5mg and then work up to 10mg. But make sure you get to 10mg eventually.

1 Like

Abilify was a good med for me until it caused shopping addiction. I had debts etc No spending issues now on Risperdal. Its a rare side effect though.

Good luck! I think you should be ok on Abilify.

1 Like

i already love to shop :flushed: someone take my card off me please :woozy_face:

1 Like

I take Risperdal 4mg and gained about 40 pounds. I used to have an ED also and it has been a daily struggle after gaining that much weight.
I hope you have good luck starting your meds

1 Like

Ask your doctor for the lowest possible dose that would still be effective for your situation. Trust me !!!

Abilify is supposed to be a bit better for weight gain. Geodon, latuda, and caplyta are all the best statistically as far as not causing weight gain. But every person reacts differently to every med.

Yeah I had to think about that one and figured out it was eating disorders

1 Like

Yeah. I was really confused for a minute (EDs means what for a woman?)

hahahahaha. i suppose the female equivalent would be staying as dry as ghandi’s flip flop. got that on sertaline :joy_cat:

1 Like

i’m not sure how many of these are in the UK! can’t say i’ve seen them very often in my patients. maybe only latuda?

i think that’s their plan. fingers crossed it’s not too much trial and error.