Schizophrenia.com

Becoming a psychiatrist

I would like to be a psychiatrist once I am on Vraylar. On Abilify I was taking 5 courses/semester in university physiotherapy and I had A’s. Does a schizophrenia diagnosis legally prevents me from becoming a psychiatrist?

On Vraylar I will be even better than on Abilify bcz I won’t have any addiction or hypersexuality issues

5 Likes

If it does, I will become a computer programmer.

1 Like

I don’t know, I don’t think so.

1 Like

Even If you can be a counselor.

On Vraylar I will be even better than on Abilify bcz I won’t have any addiction or hypersexuality issues.

Its either a psychiatrist or a computer programmer (if legally can’t be a pdr).

1 Like

I am amazed by myself that I took 5 courses/semester and got A’s while having addiction and hypersexuality issues from Abilify.

@gcar What do you think?

I used to want to be a psychiatrist as well…and I used to want to be a counselor as well.

1 Like

I will be the first schizophrenic psychiatrist in the world haha

1 Like

I guess no one here has experience in becoming a psychiatrist haha

1 Like

Stay on your medication and work hard and you might be able to, assuming everything else goes right.

The best advice I can think of, is be smart and take your time.

By this I mean, take care of your mood and thinking. And then also take care of your studies - this is the hardest one because I don’t actually know how sz people can study at all.

I’m a student too. And I struggle with school a lot.

I’m working on it though. And I’m hopeful. So both of those may prove to help; and they’re the same advice I’ve give to you. Be smart!

1 Like

I did most of my university degree semesters after having schizophrenia while on Abilify. I have a degree in Physiotherapy now. So I am 95% confident that Vraylar will be even better bcz I had addiction and hypersexuality bcz of Abilify.

1 Like

I did 1 semester b4 sz and the other 5 after having sz.

1 Like

I had a counselor who had a mental illness, and I’m pretty sure she got delusional. I don’t see her anymore, because I don’t need a counselor anymore.

I am not treatment resistant, all 6 antipsychotics I tried worked even the weakest one Latuda.

Many of my close friends became Drs, brain surgeon, eye surgeon, cardiologist, pediatrician, heart surgeon, etc I left them bcz of sz.

In my country, it is allowed, but you have to disclose it in the board exam. I think you should keep in mind though, even if you have more motivation on Vraylar, you still have years of inactivity to work through. It won’t be like suddenly flipping a switch and feeling incredible. Your body is used to being sedentary, and you will need to take small steps and build up to your previous level of activity over time. I don’t want you to be disheartened if your motivation comes back, but your stamina is still low.

3 Likes

I know that its not an on switch and that I have to work. I have only been inactive since March this year. I was much more inactive back when I was first diagnosed, I studied harder for my 5 courses/semester. I think I aim higher but will be happy just to be a Dr or a physiotherapist. I love studying. I study all summer preparing for university.

1 Like

Maybe also getting fit and working as a gym trainer or athletic therapist on sport fields during games. IT in computers sounds reasonable too.

1 Like

I’m thinking about majoring in disability studies in graduate school. Personally, I do not have sz- I have a slightly different diagnosis that tends to go on frequent remissions when I stay on meds. This is why, despite not having delusions or paranoia, I am still on meds.

Self care is vital. Meds aren’t everything. You have to feed yourself well, take care of yourself, and make sure your basic needs are met. Also, if you want to become a psychiatrist, you should be in therapy to take care of your mental health too. Kati Morton says that therapy is important to mental health professionals too and she even goes to therapy.

Also, discuss this with your pdoc. He’ll suggest helpful tips. All the best.

3 Likes