Be honest with me

I shouldn’t have walked out on the job because the supervisor was rude to me , telling me I wasn’t doing enough work. I don’t mind people saying this , but there are ways of saying this …I could have just stuck it out … I feel really bad about this now.

4 Likes

Did you quit? 1515

1 Like

I have walked out on many jobs in the past.

Some people can be very rude

Glad you stood up for yourself, as this person clearly gets away with treating other people like dirt

Many times in my working life I have had to walk away

Just not worth it

5 Likes

No she gave me the option to go away, Wait until the senior manager came back to see if they can place me elsewhere. I should have just stayed and worked until she came next week.

1 Like

There’s ways of saying things and I didn’t like his tone. I don’t mind people telling me I didn’t do enough at all.

He’s not worth losing my job over … I really wanted this to work but I was constantly thinking about work and getting upset.

1 Like

Well, what’s done is done. Maybe next time, think it through before you take any action.
There’s going to be jerks at any job you go to. There’s ways of handling them.
To be honest, probably no one likes me at my job, I don’t think. And the supervisor is disrespectful. But it’s a good job and I sometimes give a little crap back to the rest of them so I can rationalize staying there. Plus, I’ve been there 11 years and outlasted 5 supervisors and a dozen other crew members. I’ve been there longer than anyone else and I figure I’ll stick it out.

I’ve quit a few jobs over the way I was being treated. It’s all moot now, I probably could have stuck it out but I have a little bit of being a punk in me and quit out of spite and pride. It sucked looking for work so I know I got something good going with this job and I’ll stay as long as possible. No one calls me names or cusses at me, it’s just getting laughed at occasionally which can leave me mad for an hour afterwards and then I get over it.
I don’t know if you did the right thing or not ish. Maybe you satisfied your sense of pride which can be a good thing but look how long it took you to get that job. Like I said, you’re going to have jerks at any job but maybe you did the right thing.

3 Likes

I’ll face this with every job I go to. I shouldn’t have left but what’s done is done. Will wait to see when manager back next week.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it. They’re lucky to have employees and should be trying to keep them. If you think you can work there, then see what the other supervisor says.

1 Like

Do they have an EAP (Employee Assistance Program) at that place?

1 Like

Not in my workplace but I’ll find out thank you.

1 Like

Sometimes a cowboy comes to a fork in the road…

2 Likes

You did the right thing, as discrimination, even if only belittling and rude attitudes should not be a common thing when trying to engage within the world, and just for attempting to work, ■■■■ them and show it by walking.

1 Like

But why should I lose my job because of him… I honestly don’t want to leave but he made it difficult.

Health is your number one concern. If you feel like it was an unhealthy place to work than you did the right thing.

2 Likes

@Ish, My very first nursing instructor at nursing college told us students: “Remember, when you’re on the job, that Mrs. Green is just named Mrs. Brown somewhere else”.
In other words, sh-tty bosses and sh-tty people are everywhere. You can’t escape them.
@mangojuice @LevelJ1 @77nick77 @Joker @pasteyface @A77 @AngryOne @devra @

4 Likes

I agree. Every job has a bad apple.

2 Likes

If you want honesty, every place you have worked or talked about working at seems to have a problem. I think you are creating them in your head, are reading things into stuff that isn’t there, or do things that call attention yourself- such as not doing things the way you are told/taught

Now, all of us have done these things. You’re not the only one. But if you really want to work you will need to get past these things. It takes self awareness, maybe therapy, and taking meds as directed.

I get ideas in my head that people at work are secretly hating me behind my back and plotting to get me fired. I realized it was ME, no one was thinking those things. Now I tell myself that those things are not true anytime those thoughts surface.

I’ve held the same job for almost 3 years now. I was honest with my employer about my mental illness and she makes thongs easier for me, with clear directions and lists. I can take short breaks if I get overwhelmed.

Being upfront after you’re hired may help you. Hodong it so later when your symptoms come out will just make everyone wonder and gossip.

1 Like

I agree with ZombieMombie about disclosing. Then you know up front how theyre going to accept it or not. Of course, they can’t discriminate on paper, but the reality is that many do.

At the first employer I disclosed to, they made my life miserable until I quit. That part was important to them because they didn’t want me to be eligible to claim unemployment.

At the second job, i had been there a little over a year before I disclosed. I had to, because I had to get short term disability to go inpatient for two weeks (and of course I wasn’t ready to go back immediately). Once I came back, i got called into my boss’s office multiple times, and she bullied me, constantly saying I should not be having these performance issues because my doctor cleared me to come back. I ended going on long term disability two months later, which i am still on 7 years later.

Two years ago i tried to work. Couldn’t handle the first place at all, but was burned about disclosing at that point so I didn’t. I knew I’d be harrassed again. But at my last job before I went back on full disability, I disclosed and they couldn’t have been more supportive and accommodating. I am still in periodic touch with that boss, who tells me I can come back at any time, and she’s fine with my limitations.

It’s really important, i think, to know from the get go how they’re going to react and treat you.

Mombie, congrats on three years, that’s amazing!

3 Likes

Thanks @Shmookitty ! I couldn’t have made it this far without my boss being awesome.

2 Likes