As an adult child with schizophrenia, what should I do in return for my parent(s)?

WARNING: This topic is longer than usual, please skip reading if you have short attention span, or if you cannot tolerate with someone using broken English.

As a member of single-parent family, my father is taking care of everything, and providing for the family (except my only sibling). He is now 60 years old, I can see he is tired working everyday at a Japanese kitchen. He loves to read newspaper. He owe too much bad debts and about to be declared bankruptcy. I can’t help but do anything possible pertaining to his I.T. interest or his request for technical assistance. Other than that, nothing more I can contribute. I helped to settle the car loan and motorcycle loan and then transferred the ownership to my sibling, this has somehow made him feel upset.
I mean I am okay with myself, but when comes to covering, sustenance and accomodation, I have to rely totally on my father, and it is a heavy burden to him. After all, he has no one to talk to. Our family do have a step mother, but her legal stay in the country has since lapsed.
I know I need to take care of my father one day, and I am not yet prepared for that, especially I cannot foresee any possible outcomes. As a side note, my relationship with my sibling is like in cold war. We cannot have open discussion so let alone family meeting or family gathering.
As long as I take medicine as prescribed everyday, my father is happy with me.

Sorry, but the “Warning” is a little bit playful, purposely intended so. :blush:

1 Like

I wouldn’t feel to badly or guilty about it if as you say your father is happy with you. Have you spoken with him about this guilt? He may say not to feel badly at all. That is what my father has told me when I’ve described to him feeling guilty for all he’s done for me.

Though I do receive disability my family has helped me anyway they could think of. I have a rough idea of what the bill could be in total but this is not a figure I’m comfortable sharing here. I however no longer feel as badly as I did as I’ve told him how I felt and he told me that it was never an issue and that I shouldn’t even worry about it.

Of course my circumstances are not what many others are…that being said I can relate to the guilt of having felt like a burden to family.

1 Like
  1. How old are you exactly?
  2. Who else lives in the house with you and your father?
  3. What country are you in?

Maybe you’re right…But in traditional Eastern family, I am too shy to open my mouth and raise this issue to him…lips sealed… :secret:
Thank you for your valuable opinion, it is been useful.

Hi there,

EDIT: Just now you see, now you don’t. ----Removed due to privacy concern.

Ah yes…this is easy to forget when you grew up with no traditional culture at all…some traditional values…but no culture here to speak of :blush:

For me I know how my father feels about me. Not from what he’s told me but from his act of making me the executor of his living will. That means that in the event that he is incapable of making medical decisions for himself that responsibility falls to me. His ‘schizophrenic’ son…the executor of his living will. I am truly honored for this.

2 Likes

I am happy for you and hope everything goes fine with your father. :smiley:

As a mom with a diagnosed son-I can tell you that the best thing you can do to make your father happy is to take care of yourself. i am as light as a feather when my son is doing that—:))

4 Likes

I agree with bridgecomet. :smile:

Other then that maybe help with household chores if you can but it sounds like you are already making him happy.

3 Likes

I agree with @bridgecomet and @BarbieBF. Stay healthy and just do your best. I think that’s the greatest gift you can give him.

3 Likes

Thank you for your advice. Noted.

1 Like

Thank you for reminding me of household chores.

I think health is my basic asset, so does everyone.
Thanks!