Schizophrenia.com

Are our mentally ill records ever expunged?

Are our mental records ever cleared? I hate records. There’s no second chance.

No, our medical records stay with us for life. Although if you haven’t seen your dr in 6-7 years, they will often purge your paper medical records. Electronic medical records are usually kept for life.

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

So anyone can pay those online back ground checks and it will show up there?

No, medical records are kept confidential through a law called HIPAA. They won’t show up on a background check like financial or criminal records.

And thank God, because I don’t want anyone having access to my mental health records!

Blessings,

Anthony

4 Likes

Thanks blessings unto u

I always used to worry about “the trace” that people will find out my sordid history.
Most employers don’t have time or money for even a criminal check.
There is no way they can find out about hospitalizations.

One person hired me even when I had a medical withdrawal on my transcript.
I just went to another easier school and eventually graduated.
They look at what you say and previous job experience more than grades after you get your first job.

1 Like

But actually I don’t recommend that you tell employers right off that you have sz. Let them get to trust you first and build up some history or competence.
At one interview I filled out all the paperwork. There was this extra paper that was to disclose any illness or what ever and that it would have no effect on your hiring. It was like they were detecting descrimination or something and I was fooled.
Well I was having a great interview when I think the interviewer read that I said I have sz. Suddenly the tone changed and this was one of the very few interviews where I didn’t get the job.
I was hired by a competitor of sorts and now am called by this company for my expertise!

But you gotta remember that some normals still equate sz with axe murderers because of the press.
So just hide it until a hospitalization and then you just say you were sick, they won’t find out unless you tell them.
When I finally had to tell my boss after I was relapsing at work, he said he had a college roomate that had sz and he must have read about it. When I came back, they were all very glad to see me as work had been piling up.

1 Like

Ive posted about having schizophrenia on facebook. I plan on going to grad school in psych to get a masters and then do intake evaluations at a mental hospital, so I am pretty open about my diagnosis but I only posted about my miraculous recovery and the post got like 80 likes. I am not ashamed to have a genetic disorder that runs in my family, especially because I complied with treatment and sacrificed a lot to change myself for the better, which makes me proud to be recovered and functioning 100%. I like to spread awareness of mental illnesses and be an example of someone who is not just a diagnosis, not just a “schizophrenic”, but instead a person who has schizophrenia.

Again, you have schizophrenia or schizophrenia has you, making you a “schizophrenic”. I like to say that there is a difference and that “schizophrenic” implies being controlled by the illness, while being a person who has schizophrenia implies that you are a normal person (for the most part, I’m still eccentric) who has their illness under control.

I plan on being openly mentally ill for the rest of my life. It is not something to be ashamed of, it is something to be proud of, life with schizophrenia is a more challenging life and people should recognize that. Everyone on this forum is very strong and has remarkable courage. To me, having schizophrenia is like playing the game of life on hard mode, everything is harder and therefore more rewarding. A simple day of school, exercise and socializing is a dream come true. Schizophrenia makes feeling normal and not being psychotic due to treatment a victory in and of itself. I get more out of life that normal people do, and I am above their level- I’m an honors student on a full scholarship and I am getting into one of the hardest competitive sports, powerlifting. I just find much more satisfaction in the little things in life than normal people do. I am grateful for having a sound mind and a strong body, it makes my day every day.

4 Likes

ITs not that I’m ashamed, but at my job of senior chemist at an Engineering Consulting firm it is rare to run into someone ill and most people do not understand, nor do they want anything to do with it in my 30 years of working in the field.
IF you work in the mental health industry, well you may get a very positive response but I don’t think that holds for most professions or even just normal people on the street since all they may know about is what they hear in the media and that’s mostly pretty negative.
A few people have written inspiring books to attack this stigma but they are not best sellers.

3 Likes

Some normal people are oblivious and I think that is what makes them not appreciate life as much as SZ people. Everyday well is like a gift from heaven. The location of hell can be there in the mind, if it weren’t for medicine. I’m not oblivious to the medicine, each pill is like a magical stabilizer that we need to go along on hard mode. Compare the lives of a normal person and one with SZ, and every SZ story is like a battle. Everyday uphill. Nothing is easy for us. Work hard to achieve.

1 Like

my grandad had schiz and i wanted to find out more about him but i was told medical records like that were destroyed about 3 years after you die so even if i got permission (which i dont think i would) then there would be nothing to see because it has been destroyed,

i think the only way for someone to keep records of their illness for say a family member who has been struck with the same type mental illness is to pay for your records to be given to you and keep them somewhere or copy them onto your computer and paste them on to something that cant be destroyed

but if you did that then anyone could see your records and you may end up influencing someones thoughts badly, which is why you have to be careful because you don’t know what kind of effect that these things can have on people, especially if they are young.

take care