Anyone who got marrried after the diagnosis?

I didnt mean to discourage you @bananatto.

Not all Marriages are rough going, many Marriages succeed.

I just happened to Marry the wrong person, it happens.

I would keep an open mind and take your time - best of luck to you

1 Like

We were friends before we decided to date so we got to know each other as just people pretty well.

Her life is settling downā€¦ my life is stabilizingā€¦ it just seemed like the right time.

She had an Uncle with Sz so she knows a bit about this illness.

Youā€™ll find someoneā€¦ time and friendshipā€¦

3 Likes

I am over 48 years old and I do not feel I am a good marriage material, I was once married in America but the marriage ended around at the time my voices started. Somehow I feel more happy to be a single man.

1 Like

I donā€™t think I have anything in common with a normal person.
I donā€™t know if itā€™s just my assumption or truthā€¦

I used to think thatā€¦ but we are still humanā€¦ and all humans have wants and hopes.

I used to think that because of my illness I wasnā€™t part of any societyā€¦ I wasnā€™t like anyone else on this planetā€¦ I was no longer like ā€œthemā€ā€¦ whoever they were.

But as Iā€™ve gotten betterā€¦ and Iā€™ve meet people and seen more peopleā€¦ and see that normal doesnā€™t really existā€¦ then I started to see that despite my Szā€¦ I really am a lot like other people in some cases.

3 Likes

That sounds reassuringā€¦
Thanks @SurprisedJ

I guess I need to get a bit better to be able to realize thatā€¦

1 Like

I will never marry.

But for me it doesnā€™t matter - person is more important than a label

For me, in part I think Iā€™ve had too many opportunities for love pass me by. And after finding out about 10 years ago that I couldnā€™t work again, Iā€™ve never seen much point in me being in a relationship. Today, Iā€™ve been wondering if Iā€™ve been stubborn and not admitting my true feelings. I mean on the one hand, Iā€™m getting tired of these young women batting their eyelashes at me. Whilst, I would have to choose someone whose considerably younger if I wanted children.

If I wanted to have kids, Iā€™d be much more in a hurry since Iā€™m 37 next January, but I donā€™t want to have kids which makes me a little easy-going about marriage.

Diagnosed sz 1975. Changed to sz-a c1983. Married 1986.

I still desire sex & romance, but not marriage. Donā€™t know how to evolve out of those feelings.

i have the same thing bananatto but we should be opened to kids also i think. not in my program for now, i still make baby steps :slight_smile:

1 Like

I desire all of them - sex & romance, and marriage.
I once tried to stay away from all of them because of the issues I have, but Iā€™m beginning to understand that I just canā€™t escape from them. They keep haunting me like they are my own shadows.
I need to be honest with myself and just go out and try to get them.
If I didnā€™t, I know I would regret it for the rest of my life.

Iā€™d bet its no different than most countries - about 1 out of every 100.

But in many countries they donā€™t talk about itā€¦ perhaps that would be ā€œmost countriesā€ they donā€™t talk about it.

Yeah youā€™re probably right.
It doesnā€™t help that I donā€™t have a group therapy of some sort also, I talked to my pdoc about that she said it wasnā€™t going to do me much good because I have a lot of insight already. Donā€™t really know if thatā€™s a good thing.

I was Dxā€™d at the 10 year mark in my 1st marriage, and it lasted another 15 years before ending in divorce in 2013.
I got married a second time (at age 49) and we have been married 2 years now.
Is he normal?
Not really, but thatā€™s why we get along so well.
To be fair, he isnā€™t Dxā€™d anything.
I met him while walking to the local market.

1 Like

I was married and divorced too. but still I dream of a marriage with soooo much love between the two of us. maybe the dreaming part is dangerous because of my sz. I suppose I should just not think about it so much and make a life for myself.

judy

Half of the marriage is what you bring to the table.

I wouldnā€™t expect a man to compensate me for what I should get myself,
nor would I want or need to be just another service to provide another.

Marriage is best when both share the same values, and enjoy just being with the other regardless of the activity.

Nothing is dangerous about dreaming except the expectation that it alone will be responsible for your happiness.

1 Like

I married another schizophrenic I met on this site (the former site). we have since divorced but still love eachother.

1 Like