Anyone prescribed melatonin before?

from his psychiatrist ?
i wonder becoz i m prescribed quitiapine 200 mg which is highly sedative but i feel it somewhat weak med in my case
i wonder if psychiatrist may prescribe melatonin for his MI patients ??!! or not ??
i think melatonin can cause dependancy and patients cant sleep without it like benzo meds you know
thank you

1 Like

You can buy it melatonin that is in stores. I tried it for months and never became dependent on it then again it didn’t work either so there’s that.

1 Like

I buy it from the pharmacy. No prescription needed. It says natural and non habit forming.

Could possibly be habit forming and cause insomnia when stopped after long term use, but likely only at high doses. Melatonin is sold in range from 0.5-10mg per serving. I have been taking 1mg each night for years, haven’t noticed problems. The body is supposed to produce somewhere between 0.5-1mg on it’s own, so at least if you never tried it before I would start at a low dose and see how it goes.

3 Likes

yes.

it actually puts me to sleep. i get an extra one sometimes.

i used to be sceptical but that was when horse meds woildnt put me to sleep.

1 Like

Mmm I don’t necessarily think it is habit forming but dependence can happen. I don’t really think that anyone is going to have trouble quitting melatonin. May more that people are just going to continue struggling with sleep. The melatonin in that instance wouldn’t necessarily be the problem mainly other factors

3 Likes

i m not asking about any of what you talked about
i m asking about if anyone prescribed this by his psychiatrist ?

1 Like

Ah yes, dependence is the right term. Sometimes I mix up dependence and addiction.

1 Like

I don’t know how it is in your country, but in most countries melatonin is sold over the counter i believe. No perscription needed.

I got recommended melatonin by my GP once.

Melatonin is a natural substance, not a chemical substance. I don’t think you can get dependent on it. It is used to help you re-regulate your sleep cycle naturally. You aren’t supposed to take it for long periods, as it becomes ineffective if you use it too much. I would not say that would be called dependence, though.

1 Like

I think the dependence scenario is because if you take melatonin, especially at high doses you could possibly detrain the body from producing it’s own melatonin, at least for a period of time. It is probably highly individual though.

2 Likes

I mean isn’t melatonin technically a steroid? I also think it can stop human beings from producing melatonin naturally. It’s a new, recently synthesized med, there aren’t any long term studies yet. I have recently myself taking melatonin 3mg everyday and it does its job, but the next day I need massive amounts of caffeine to not to lay down

I mean, it’s technically a hormone. So if you take too much you could get a hormone imbalance maybe. I think thats why you are only supposed to take them for short periods of time.

1 Like

Yes, years ago i got melatonin on prescription.
I think it was 3 mg.

If it gives you a hangover i would recommend lowering the dose next time you get it.

1 Like

I used to take 3mg, but that didn’t work well for me, it worked much better at 1mg, but I hear other people say they may need as much as 10mg to get a good effect, so the opposite. One theory could be that people absorb it differently.

1 Like

I’ve been taking it for years at 1mg because of extreme insomnia, but turns out it was the AP causing the insomnia I found out a few months ago. Maybe I will try and quit melatonin at some point if sleep keeps improving.

1 Like

I was prescribed 3 mg, did not work. My father was prescribed 5 mg, it did not work, but 3 mg did. my sister takes 600 mcg occasionally and it works. Often less is much better.

2 Likes

This is an OTC in most places for these members. Pdocs do not prescribe it there. You need to ask your pdoc.

I got it prescribed, so it can be.

1 Like