Anyone else get major anxiety/paranoia about flying

Tomorrow I am going to visit my sister in New York. I am flying out of a very busy airport. I have always hated airports. TSA is so annoying now. Not that long ago they had some old dude grope me after I went through a body scanner and there wasn’t anything in my pockets so I’m not sure why it would go off. That was a very uncomfortable experience. I really just hate being in airports it makes me anxious same with hospitals. I’ll just try to think of things that make me feel safe like libraries and hoodies.

2 Likes

I get anxiety going to the freaking corner store even. You must be brave going to an airport like that.

3 Likes

Well I don’t get to see my sister often maybe a few times a year at best and I am on meds so that will help but still worried about traveling once I get to port authority and see my sister waiting that will be the best feeling because it will be over

2 Likes

I do get anxiety about it too. So much so that I don’t go on planes anymore.

I just got through a 2 hour flight to New Orleans and a 5 hour flight from there to Oakland. I forgot to take the coins out of my change pocket so I got patted down in front of everyone. I was fine until I got voices on the plane, but I just powered through it.

I don’t get anxious about the plane ride or flying up high, just the stress of getting through the airport procedures without getting overwhelmed. There’s always a little risk involved. I have had good experiences asking for help when I needed it though.

3 Likes

I get anxious in the airport because of the crowds of people but my real issue is with the flight itself. I always worry that my thoughts are going to interfere with the airplane and cause it to crash. So I fly as little as possible.

2 Likes

I didn’t even go I was up all night anxious and paranoid slept two hours and just couldn’t go :frowning: I’m so upset that this is controlling my life. I wanted to see my sister so bad and I just wasted a ticket. I feel guilty about it because my mom paid for it and it’s just a waste. I have a call with my pdoc in the morning and I will ask for a prescription for an anti anxiety medication for when I fly. I am afraid he will say no because of my history of substance abuse with benzodiazepines. I really don’t want to abuse them just one for the flight there and the flight back. I don’t know what else will help. I barely left my room all day.

I’m sorry you weren’t able to make it. Try not to let it get you too down, though. Definitely talk to your doctor.

1 Like

I don’t go on planes and I haven’t been to an airport in decades.
I have an intense fear of flying.

1 Like

I was in New Orleans yesterday too but I only live about an hour from there.

I used to fly everyday with my work years ago and I traveled a bit, but no more, seems like such a hassle I don’t want to bother with anymore

I never really used to get it over the actual flying, but more the getting to the airport and worrying about getting on the wrong plane, until my last flight home from seeing my dad in the USA.
Minutes after take off I found my money and train tickets to get home from Gatwick airport had been stolen at Charlotte airport. I felt extreme anxiety all through the flight.

Ever since I’ve balked at the thought of air travel. I know it’s illogical but it’s ramped up my fear of getting lost getting to the airport or something bad happening on the plane.

1 Like

I agree , flying is not the problem for me it’s the airport.

Trying to get on the right flight and not miss it, not knowing where to go etc… tweaks me out

1 Like

I’m new here and so glad I have found a place where people have similar struggles to mine.

I recently took a flight from Bucharest to Amsterdam to Boston to Minnesota and had voices on most of the flights. When they served the food it reminded me of hospital food and I experienced some pretty heavy paranoia.

I actually have another flight from Houston to Mexico City tomorrow, wish me luck. I really have a hard time w airports, TSA and flying. I almost always get patted down and it makes me feel so gross. Ugh.

1 Like

Wow you do a lot of traveling Idk how you do it chicago to Newark made me too anxious I cant imagine an international flight

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.