Schizophrenia.com

What else will help with a fear of flying?

Overcoming a fear of flying and airports and chaos of hustle and bustle…

I was able to find a map of Boeing Airport so I will know what gate to go to right off the bat. I’ll be there with family.

Large cases and wedding gifts went with our sis and Mom in the car so it’s all light carry on luggage with me so no bag check. It’s my very first time flying anywhere so I did save up and go first class so I’m not packed in and have a little space around me. My Dad got the tickets on line so that is less hustle and bustle.

I leave tomorrow evening. I’ve got extra meds with me and they are in my carrier bag. Any suggestions on what else might help me get over a fear of flying?

1 Like

take your ipad and play words with friends, or another game, while you’re waiting.

1 Like

Hey J, I have a fear of airports and flying too. Maybe you could listen to soothing music, conversing a lot with your Dad on board the plane, and dont forget to take and bring extra benzos - I am sure you will do just fine

2 Likes

Good idea on flying first class! Its much more personal space and you’re treated a lot better. The flight attendants in first are usually a lot more relaxed, so there’s less frantic energy.

I also have a major phobia of flying, even though I’ve done it dozens of times. One trick I always use is to save up on my anti-anxiety med and then take a double dose on the plane (with the approval of my doc). It usually relaxes me so much that I can take a nap and sleep through most of the flight.

I hope that you can manage your anxiety and realize that there’s nothing to flying on a plane. The worst part of it is actually boredom lol. And not being able to smoke.

You will be fine, I’m sure. But I’ll say an extra prayer for you just in case.

Blessings,

Anthony

3 Likes

I’m lucky that it’s about a 2 and a half hour flight. So, not a long one.

@radmedtech… Thank you for hint of saving up on the anxiety meds and taking them closer to boarding so I can nap on the plane.

I’m sort of in that swing where half of me is calm and trying to talk to the other half of me… which is going a bit extreme in the circus tent.

1 Like

Good luck on the flight. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i hope you enjoy the wedding lol, tc

1 Like

Xanax is commonly prescribed in tiny amounts for flights. Tell your doctor and he will give you like 3 bars to get you through it. Happens all of the time.

1 Like

i have to take ear plugs on with me because i get really bad ear ache usually when i come into land, but i’m not saying it will happen to you but just giving you a heads up, my hearing goes low when this happens until my ears pop later (i think its the pressure changing or something, nothing to be alarmed about it was just in case you didnt know about that.

1 Like

Don’t look it to it as in fear, but look to it as in fun. Taking off jet engines pushing you back against your seat upon takeoff. You realize your in a pressured cabin. Realize that more people die on their way to the airport than they do from plane crashes…

2 Likes

Good luck with the flight! I too have a bit of a fear of flying even though I have done it much in the past. A lot of my fear has to do with the fact that you have to go so long without smoking. I’m always afraid that I’ll break down and have a smoke in the bathroom or something, and then not be allowed to fly back. About fifteen years ago, though, I even flew to London, England from Philadelphia, PA. I wasn’t so anxious back then. Some of my fears now have to do with whether or not someone will actually pick me up at the airport, or will get in a car crash on the way there. But since you’re with your dad, you should be okay.

Have fun at the wedding!

2 Likes

Remember to enjoy it. Flying can be a fun experience. Wear slip on shoes for a faster experience through the lines.

2 Likes

have a good time at the wedding, hey , come back and tell us what first class was like…i dream of first class…
i have only traveled ’ cattle class’…i swear they used an electric cattle prod once !! so rude…
take care

2 Likes

I would recommend taking your pills in their bottle. You can get in a lot of trouble for having loose pills on you, even if they’re prescribed to you. Good luck and have fun!! :sunny:

1 Like

Good luck on your flight and enjoy your family.
I fly a lot but it still makes me uneasy. I nap on the plane. Get one of those half cushions for sleeping sitting up–or take a small blanket so you can wrap around yourself and sleep
Enjoy!

1 Like

Thank you for that, I separated mine out in a pill organizer. I’ll put them back in the bottle and separate them when I get to the hotel.

I’m beginning to be more afraid of the airport then the plane. NSA searches, no fly list, all the security checks… I hope I don’t mess it up.

I know your already on your way to the airport, but just remember, flying is so much more safer than driving in a car.
Airplane crashes are not frequent, but way to many thousands lose their life in a car accident every single day.

Prayer to God, and perhaps mind melding with angels and aliens that if anything were to happen they could employ antigravity and shielding… and just knowing everything will be ok…
I actually did all that last time I flew in 2005, and strange thing was the last time I had flown before that was just about a week prior to 9/11… I did notice the airport security in 2005 was way more intense compared to what it was in 2001