Aripiprazole

I’m thinking of asking to switch to aripiprazole. What are peoples experiences with it like?

2 Likes

I’ve had a great experience. It is countering the negative side effects from my Invega shot. The only downside is i am hungry a lot.

1 Like

My experience is that it’s kept me out of hospital for 5 years and it doesn’t seem to be losing effectiveness.

It raised my blood sugar so I was prescribed metformin for that.

I need to take either L-theanine or a benzo to tolerate it as it causes anxiety.

4 Likes

It’s better than olanzapine and quetiapine. Those are the only two other APs I’ve tried.

1 Like

Best AP I’ve been on.

The only drawback was that it caused my anxiety to worsen.

I’m on klonopin for that now.

2 Likes

Ive always taken Aripiprazole it does the job stops the voices

1 Like

I’ve always been on aripiprazole too.
You may get some akithisia, but mine subsided after about 2 months.
Tbh the saddest thing for me is I can’t excercise no more, but then again others can on it so it just is an individual thing.

@anon90843118 How does it stop you exercising if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

I just find it really stressful too stressful to muster up the motivation. Maybe it’s an energy thing too.

In particular I used to do jogging. Now when I try it’s not even that I run out of breath, it’s just that my legs just don’t listen to my brain so powerful these meds.

1 Like

That sounds like a total bummer. I can exercise fine on it. What’s your dosage? I’m on 15mg. It gives me really bad insomina so I’m tired all the time. I force myself to do some Yoga in the morning though.

1 Like

I’m on 5mg and I still can’t even do excercise…!
People may think 5mg hey that can’t be too bad but it is for me.
I’m real glad you can do yoga

2 Likes

We all react to these meds differently. I started on 10 and it didn’t get rid of my delusions fully. Could you manage a bit of Yoga?

1 Like

Gave me akathisia and did nothing for my positive symptoms.

Meds are different for every person though, so maybe it’ll be better for you!

You know what I may try that. I did do some Pilates for a while but it got too difficult but yoga is more gentle I think. Thanks… I even have a yoga mat how handy. :slight_smile:

Ps… It took up to 2 months for positive symptoms to go for me. But after those two months they did go

Aripiprazole is Abilify. That should help some of us to understand the discussion.

2 Likes

On 10mg it mostly dealt with my positive symptoms. It gave me akathisia though and I would do a lot of pacing and walking in the morning after taking the tablet. My doc upped me to 20mg briefly and that gave me severe akathisia. I couldn’t tolerate caffeine on it either and went without caffeine for 6 months.

Like most of the new ap’s, If you need a change it is worth a try.

1 Like

I was in 7,5 mg of aripiprazole since June 2018 and around to 5 months ago I decreased to 5 mg. I don’t have the called positive and negative symptoms anymore.

I heard some people saying (even my first doctor) that aripiprazole is not so good for positive symptoms.

It was great all up until I developed a massive gambling problem because of it… beware if you have an addictive personality… it will cause compulsive behaviours.

It’s the only AP that has worked for me and I’ve tried all of them except clozapine. I don’t get any side effects and I’ve lost weight on it. It doesn’t stimulate my appetite like the others do.
I find it activating and I’m much more awake and active on it. It seems to reduce both positive and negative symptoms for me. I’m not drowsy and sleeping all the time like I was on Amisulparide.
The only way to find out what it will do to you is try. I am on 15mg now, but years ago I was on 60mg. 15 seems to work just as good as 60.

1 Like