Does Abilify/Aripiprazole Cause Muscle Stiffness?

Hi! Those of you who’ve tried Abilify, also known as Aripiprazole, did it cause you to have muscle stiffness? Were you stiff while on it? I ask because I am on risperidal and it causes me stiffness so I am wanting to switch to Abilify. Thanks!

It didn’t for me.

1 Like

Did it cause you any other side effects?

It causes muscle stiffness for me. But it’s not a lot. It doesn’t bother me really. I’m on 15mg.

1 Like

Ah I see. Did it give you any other side effects?

The first time I was in it I was on it for 7 years and didn’t really have any bad side effects. Just a little weight gain.

Second time one of my legs swelled up really badly. Couldn’t even put my shoe on.

Third time I gained 10 lbs in one week without changing my diet or exercise routine.

Fourth time I had something go wrong where I was only in it for a couple weeks, but I don’t remember what.

1 Like

Ah I see I see. Thank you for your insight!

1 Like

Yes. It raised my blood sugar and they had to put me on metformin for that. So make sure you get blood tests every 6 months for a while.

The biggest side effect that causes me problems is anxiety. It’s anxiety city for me on abilify. I take a supplement called L-theanine to keep it bearable.

1 Like

No muscle stiffness,

But it did cause near debilitating anxiety and paranoia.

My doctor combated that with klonopin, which I take twice daily.

Seems to keep it under control.

I suspect that it contributed to some hair loss I experienced, but I can’t be sure.

Those things aside,

Its been a great medication for me and really helped relieve my symptoms.

1 Like

Ah I see, sorry to hear that. Thank you for your insight!

1 Like

I see. Thank you for your insight!

1 Like

Yes, abilify caused muscle stiffness for me. They had to take me off of it.

1 Like

I see. Did it cause any other side effects for you?

Abilify did not cause muscle stiffness but that may be because I am receiving the injection form of Abilify.

1 Like

I see, did it cause any other side effects for you?

1 Like

Apparently, there are fewer side effects when receiving injection forms of anti-psychotics. For example, I don’t get dry-mouth or a headache with the Abilify injection.

1 Like

Thank you for your input!

1 Like

Abilify caused muscle tension.
I remember it well.

1 Like

Thank you for your input!

Please don’t be discouraged @LionDen.
Abilify might work out for you!

It’s a very popular AP.
Lots of people are doing well on it.

1 Like