I’m thinking about trying aripiprazole

It’s one of just a few I haven’t tried yet. Any thoughts and experiences on this drug?

3 Likes

10mg is the minimum dose for schizophrenia!

It’s kept me out of the hospital for nearly 9 years now. Anxiety might be an issue. Make sure you get yearly blood tests to check your blood sugar levels.

2 Likes

This is between you and your doctor but I would be very cautious switching meds @CoCo especially if you are doing well on your current AP

3 Likes

It’s worked pretty well for me so far… been on it for 4 years now I think.

Don’t really have any complaints. No bad side effects for me.

It may be contributing to my highish cholesterol levels but maybe it’s just cause of my crappy diet lol.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide! @CoCo

2 Likes

I’m very paranoid still @Wave . Just yesterday I was at the grocery store with my husband and had to leave because the men were after me. They were there, and it was terrifying. I’m at home today and not going to the gym. Too nervous.

2 Likes

I had a severe almost like allergic reaction to it when I tried to switch on the first day I tried it. I felt awful and the halflife is very long so I had to wait like 4-5 days to get it out of my system.

I started at 15mg. It would probably have been a better idea to start at 5mg to see how I reacted first.

1 Like

I’m sorry @CoCo

1 Like

It’s ok @Wave . Nothing I’ve tried has worked to make the men following me stop. But some meds kind of dull my mind a bit and that helps me focus less on it. There are only a few meds left I haven’t tried and I’m not a good candidate for clozapine. So I need therapy regularly to help me cope. I took a break from therapy but just today I talked to my case manager to get back in therapy

2 Likes

Well although Abilify wasn’t a good match for me it’s a relatively safe med that helps a lot of people

1 Like

Yeah. That’s what I figured. Good for some but not for all. Is it considered a weaker AP do you know? If it is I won’t bother. That’s something I’m trying to figure out @Wave

1 Like

Well it’s a partial dopamine agonist but it’s not necessarily considered an ineffective drug.
It’s weaker than drugs like Risperdal and Haldol but some people swear by it.
I guess you’ll just have to try it out and see if it works for you.
I would have that discussion with your doctor

2 Likes

That’s my plan. My next appointment is supposed to be at the end of this month. I’m going to ask her what she thinks about it.

2 Likes

I was told it was a “light” antipsychotic, but that’s a selling point. When you look at the receptor occupancy, it’s very high, even at a low dose

2 Likes

Good luck with it @CoCo

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks @Cabra .

Thanks @Wave

1 Like

Apparently it’s one of the meds with less bad side effects. My CPN says a lot of students take it for this reason. I wouldn’t know, though, as it’s the only one I’ve been on. It works well enough for me, although it gave me quite bad insomnia at the start. It might not for you though ! Just a heads up. :^)

1 Like

Sounds like a stressful experience. <3. Have you bwwn keeping up with your sobriety?

1 Like

Thanks @not . If I do go on it I’ll make sure to take hydroxyzine with it.

1 Like

Yes, I’m sober @Revel. I don’t think the alcohol caused the paranoia or hallucinations because they’re no better now than when I was drinking

I’ve been on Geodon for over a decade and it still keeps me in line. A lot of people swear by that drug. I take it in conjunction with Seroquel. It keeps my feet on the ground.

1 Like