Anyone else afraid of the homeless?

Lots of violent crimes like stabbings being reported on the news involving unstable mentally ill homeless people
Whenever I see a homeless person come my way I cross the street to the other side.
I feel ashamed but the reality exists.
Anyone else feel the same?

8 Likes

I’m afraid of everyone…even older people :sob:

6 Likes

I truly feel bad for them even the drug addicts a lot of them suffer not only from stigma but they suffer from being trapped in a cycle and often wish they could take back there mistakes and a lot of them struggle with untreated mental health issues and need and deserve help

6 Likes

If we could just extend that compassion to everyone the world would be on track for peace lol

3 Likes

Yeah lots of them have a severe mental illness and are on drugs.
I feel bad for a lot of them

2 Likes

The older I get, the more I get afraid of the younger generation. :joy:

2 Likes

Of course just because I have severe mental illness doesnt mean i have natural affinity with those that do.

1 Like

We as schizophrenics are closest to homeless people.

2 Likes

Yes. I’m afraid because the vast majority of them are untreated, unmedicated, severely mentally ill people. Anything is possible at that point

5 Likes

Yes I agree @CoCo

3 Likes

I’m afraid of being homeless.

11 Likes

Yeah, but what about those Schizophrenics! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Not true @Matthias
I’m on medication that works for me

No. I’m not afraid of homeless people.

They only beg for money.

And are more likely to be the victims of crime.

3 Likes

I volunteer at a homeless organization. We feed them and provide hygiene items, clothing etc. I’ve never been afraid to be around them. One time we were told there was a man lying bleeding in the alley.

He was very drunk and had fallen over. His nose looked broken. He refused any professional medical care so I got a first aid kit and brought him a hot meal and blanket as he wouldn’t go inside and I cleaned him up. It was dead on winter and I was getting real cold but we talked and laughed for a bit. Oddly, He knew a lot of your mama jokes so we tried to see who knew more. He had a very sad story. Made a lot of bad choices in life but it didn’t make him less human.

Sometimes you can’t fix their lives but in the various moments of need you can be there to show that someone cares. Fearing them isn’t really necessary. They need love, too.

15 Likes

I’m not saying that they are not worthy of love

Because of what is broadcasted over the news everyday involving the homeless and violence.

My reaction is quite normal

I’ve always been a little paranoid and overly cautious as well

2 Likes

I get nervous about the people in the apartment across the street because they’re all drug addicts and alcoholics and I’ve had some bad experiences with them along with another guy in ACT.

3 Likes

You can’t based all your information on the news. The news only reports notable incidences from a crowd. There are unfortunately thousands of homeless everywhere and most are peaceful and avoid the law on purpose. They generally work to be unnoticed.

4 Likes

No the people who prey on the homeless are the worst.

5 Likes

I’m sure that most homeless people are harmless
I am just voicing on how I personally feel about many of them.

But you are right, like I said I am ashamed of these fears.

I do understand that the majority are peaceful and non violent

2 Likes