Any experiences that have made you stronger

I think that my over 2-year auto living in America from 2000 to 2002 made me a stronger person. Of course, it was challenging to live with all cockroaches, ants, mosquitoes, fleas and other insects, and trying to find a safe place for me and my auto to spend nights. But as months passed, I became a stronger person.

1 Like

I reckon that would probably do the trick.

My experiences in psychiatric wards, battling moods and psychosis and loss, etc… have made me stronger.

I remember specifically march—>april of 2013 in the psych ward I was in a really bad state of mind and in a really tough psych ward and it was really tough. That made me stronger. The staff would abuse the patients (albeit verbally), but gosh they were mean. Not a mirror in that damn place.

1 Like

Nah. I used to be really strong, and now I’m weak thanks to all my ‘experiences’

I believe batteling with this illness made me stronger but more cautious. I no longer jump to situations and people in fear of what that will do to the illness.

I know something which has killed me. But Buddhism has kept me sane and alive so I credit that for it.

1 Like

When Luka’s father decided that he can’t take responsibility, I took the kid, move to my mom’s, got to college and finished it on time.
I had a devilish energy.

Most bad experiences will only leave scars behind.

2 Likes

One time I just walked around outside for about two or three months. My family would have supported me, but I would have had to take Haldol if I lived with them. I slept on bare concrete. At one point I was going into this eleven story complex of doctor’s offices in Tulsa, Oklahoma late at night. I would go up on the eleventh floor landing and sleep there. One night I went down to this nurses station on the second floor. They had boxes and boxes and boxes of medical samples stashed away in the cabinets. Some of the samples I recognized as psychotropic med’s, but most of them I didn’t know what they were. I ate a bunch of the food the nurses had stashed away in a refridgerator. Then another night I was behind this bar at around 3:00 am. I pushed on the back door and it swung open. I went inside and took $35.00 from the cash register. I came back the next night when the bar was open and spent every bit of that money on beer. The cops eventually picked me up and took me to the mental hospital.

1 Like

In freshman and sophomore years of high school, at lunch I would hide out in bathrooms away from my friends because I thought a group was harassing me and following me. The isolation was one of the most painful things I’ve ever experienced. It led to my psychotic break.

When I moved to Missouri from California at 16, I started to lose touch with reality. Everything started to become dreamlike. Towards the end of my high school basketball career I started to absolutely go insane. I won’t go into details because it’s a super long story.

The delusions were extremely serious and too many to count. I’ve shared some of them on this site.

The hospitals stays were nightmares. Thoughts about ghosts, disciples, prophets, God, reality, all flooded my mind without stopping.

I wouldn’t say I’m spiritual or mental superman now that I’ve been through the depths of hell, but there is a new quality to me that has been pointed out by others. “Humble” is close to it, which is a big compliment for someone who used to be violent and hateful.

I have a major inferiority complex and shame-based personality, and honestly see you guys as much stronger than I am, especially those who are able to go to school or work.

The nightmare isn’t over but I’m sure as hell not quitting.

4 Likes

I like to think that every walk I can go on when the weather feels perfect is making me a stronger/better person.

How did you manage to keep your spirits up?im so low on cash if i thought i could id live in my auto. What did you do for utilities? How did u manage to stay out of police sight. Where did u park at once? How long did u stay in one place. U might hav eased my nerves conscerning the idea. Josh

Psychosis. What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger–except strokes.

I do not recommend anybody to live in auto. What comes to the utilities, it was nice to swim in the ocean and then take a shower on the beach of Miami Beach, and then you meet people who can help you, once some people gave me some coconuts at the port of Miami and then soon the rear seat of my auto was full of coconuts :smiley: . Things like that. The auto living was just a temporary phase.

1 Like

I went off my medication one time and had to drop out of college, lost my apartment, my friends, and moved back home. It was one of three times that I hit rock bottom. I had nothing. I just laid there in bed and I gave up. My Mom came to me and said she loved me and I got back up.

2 Likes

Schizophrenia beat me to the bottom but as I grow up I come back stronger,stand taller.Joining Meetup,meeting people give me good exprience and help improve my social skills

I need to thank everybody who has given me the right support,I still have to continue and work on recovering from schizo

But u survived?

Yes I survived, but I also saw America in the way many people do not have a chance to see her, I drove twice across America, from Miami to LA and SF.

2 Likes

I used to be a bright kid with strong academics achievement. Other than that, i never feel strong. I often want to make myself stronger but i have a weak body and a sensitive soul i seldom could get strong.

Me too,i had guts to hitch across country at 17,before, im so low on money now i dont know how ill live out of my car, i believe courage has something to do with how r life shrinks and grows,mabey ill get a campground for a week and mabey ill find a job to get a real place

I have to know if your username is based off the song.

The obvious experiences to think of would be those that come with schizophrenia. It used to be my biggest fear to go crazy, then it happened, and I came out the other side. One might think there is nothing left to fear now. Yet the truth is, many uncertainties arose during or after psychosis and had to be taken care of step by step.

In early adolescence, some years before the onset of schizophrenia, I was confident almost up to the point of being cocky. One could glorify humility and caution but such have been somewhat of a hinderance in my life after psychosis - too much of these and one isn’t doing oneself much of a favor. I lost a felt confidence in some abilities of mine that I reflectively knew I had, mainly related to academics which is big part of my life.

After my first episode, a depressed/anxious episode followed and it was in this time I did have some experiences that made me stronger. I had committed to giving a class at university before I became this depressed and insecure. I did not tell anyone at the university yet about my problems, but my family knew, and they were quite harsh: if you have committed to giving this class then you are going to give it. I was looking for any excuse I could find in order not to give it, and was extremely nervous and anxious about it. So much so that I couldn’t think clearly, all I could think about was excuses.

My family has been a big support to me at the time. My parents came to my place when I called them in despair saying I did not want to do it. They helped me focus on the material I was going to lecture about, and I compiled a half-decent introductory lecture, crying half of the time. The next day I was going to see the class for the first time and all I could think about was the questions they were going to ask and I wasn’t able to answer.

I started the lecture with trembling voice - I’m sure the class picked up on that. But I didn’t choke. I finished my talk and when the time came for questions I was already feeling relieved about the talk having gone alright. The questions turned out to be a walk in the park. Much easier than the talk. After that, the following classes went easier and easier, and I was starting to enjoy myself.

This experience has in fact made me stronger. To push through when all you want to do is give up. I’m so very grateful towards my parents for both pushing me and assisting me at this time. Sometimes I have felt they take my condition a bit too lightly. But this experience has shown to me that this might not be too bad of a thing. In a matter of weeks much of my confidence returned. And I have my family to thank for this.

3 Likes