Antidepressant that is good for sleep?

I see my nurse this week and I’m going to ask about switching my anti depressant to one that helps me sleep better.

Does anyone here know of any ? I’m currently on 200mg of sertraline and it’s been working well for me so I’m afraid she won’t let me change.

1 Like

You could also just add another one?
Mirtazapine is the one i know.

1 Like

Ive heard Trazadone has good results. It helped me sleep for the short time i was on it. ??

2 Likes

@Qwerty, Trazodone is an excellent SSRI antidepressant for sleep. That one will knock you out cold every night. I know it does me.

3 Likes

Wellbutrin has helped me with sleep. When I’m not on it I have suicidal urges and I also obsessively worry about things to the point I can’t fall asleep. It quiets my head somewhat. Not in the sense of positive symptoms, but in terms of “catastrophizing” things. Also gives me more energy when I’m awake!

3 Likes

Trazodone is really good for sleep. I take 50 mg every night.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I shall ask about trazadone. Also I don’t realoy want to add just another anti depressant. I’m trying to stay on as least amount of medication as possible. But who knows they may just want to add another. Also I will ask about mitrazapine

I take 200mg of trazodone every night and it seems to work ok. To fall asleep fast take it 1to2 hours before bed.

1 Like

Another one is Doxepin. It works pretty decently for me when I need it, but it does take an hour or so to kick in. Trazodone is hit or miss with me and I was getting reduced vigilance on higher doses (100mg+).

1 Like

I’m another one on trazadone but I need a really high dose to knock me out…300 mgs…

1 Like

Another vote for trazadone. It worked pretty well for me.

2 Likes

What about hydroxyzine? It’s an anxiety med, but I think you can use it as a sleep aid too,

2 Likes

If I took hydroxezine too many days in a row, when I stopped I would get aggravated nerves in my neck at bedtime for a few days. It was like restless legs in your neck.

Oh interesting. I can’t take it for more than a few days either or I build a tolerance or have rebound insomnia when I do stop. I use it sparingly and only when I feel I really need it. I find it is effective though.

It was originally prescribed to me for anxiety, but I just started using it to get to sleep.

A girlfriend……….

I took trazadone but unlike most people the effects didn’t stay the same I started to have side effects such as vomiting and nausea plus it did not make me sleep l

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.