And back on the olanzapine

Yes I lasted excactly 3,5 days this time. I guess I can’t quit without the help of a pdoc because I might need something to sleep. And he will never agree to that. Me quitting. Tough luck

3 Likes

Hi! :grinning:
Sorry for introducing here, but I am on zyprexa too since 5 years… One pdoc told me, that in his opinion, it’s the best ap for sz though… Even for long term trt, while some people here don’t like it for long term trt, I know… :smirk: But I’ve tried 12 other aps for ten years and only this med maintains me a bit, without making me crazier or with bunch of side effects…
Keep looking for smth else if you want, but some find it a good med…
Just one thing also - did you manage to lose weight on olanzapine though? :smirk: I put 30 kilos on it, but I managed to lose 10 now with less eating, but since few months I can’t lose more even on a regimen, idk why it’s so hard just now…

2 Likes

I’m happy for you. And it is Nice to hear that you have lost weight on zyprexa. To be honest my main reason for wanting to quit is the weight gain. I gained over 15 kg.
I’m happy that olanzapine work for you.

1 Like

It’s your body, and your choice. Doctors don’t seem to realize that sometimes the Cure is worse than the disease. Stick to your guns if that’s what you really want to do

2 Likes

Were you experiencing insomnia?

1 Like

Oh yeap… I developed a swallowing problem from anxiety, that’s why I started to eat less… so I’ve lost ten kilos… But now, I just am stuck on the same weight, I can’t go below 83 no matter that I eat very few… but I am still very sedentary…
It’s possible to lose weight on zyprexa, but I fear, that it’s very difficult…
For the help, tbh, I am in a lot of suffering still you know… :disappointed_relieved: and I have no life since 20 years, with an isolation… But I was crazier on the other aps, so this is the best for me I find… My sz is quite severe and very painful and even physical, that’s all… One pdoc thought that maybe I’ll recover in years, if it’s already possible even…
I try to make my peace on that… I am too aware of my deficits and symptoms in fact, maybe this is my paranoia still… but yeah, I have no life since 20 years and not any single med didn’t help me on that…
Keep looking though with your doc yeap, me, I end up with rushing mind if it’s not the zyprexa, unable to move from the bed, with the one , single, rushing thought, that I am dying or that my family or friends want my death… it’s very dangerous state, cause I stop eating and sleeping…
Hugs

1 Like

Thank you for your answers everybody. I just took my sleeping pill zolpiclone, I will return to you tomorrow. For now I will go to bed with these weird poetic thoughts that has started to come to my mind

2 Likes

I was on Zopiclone, 7.5mg, every night for about a month. It put me to sleep for 5 hours, which wasn’t enough for me. I hope you get enough sleep, it is soooooooo important :zzz:

2 Likes

Write those weird poetic thoughts down. They are what makes music from words

2 Likes

Olanzapine made my blood sugar levels go really high, 15.0mmol/L after a normal meal. So I had to come off it, and then I went on Chlorpromazine which caused me to gain even more weight, although my blood sugar levels were normal.
I have just started a medication called Duloxetine, and I am sleeping well, and my brain feel nice, and it doesn’t have the metabolic side effects that some of the other medications have. I still have Prochlorperazine, Quetiapine and Fluoxetine on my repeat prescription, which I can take if I need to. But so far the Duloxetine seems to be ok on its own.

2 Likes

I slept about 10 hours. But I usually don’t take zolpiclone, it was the insomnia kicking in. Eventhough I slept 3 nights without olanzapine.

1 Like

Happy to hear that you found another meds that is working for you. I really wish for the side effects to be gone.

I succeeded in writing a poem in danish though. If I can translate it I will send it to you.

1 Like

I’m afraid that I will have to stay on olanzapine for ever.

I’m happy for you! Olanzapine withdrawal insomnia, if that is what you are experiencing, is horrible. Zopiclone never had that type of effect on me. I think I told you this already but I take 1.5mg of clonazepam for sleep and at most I sleep 9 hours (but that is rare), usually I get 7-8 hours, that is good enough for me, I can function.

Does the Zopiclone have any side effects or lingering effects the next day. My clonazepam leaves me feeling tranquilized in the morning when I wake up. It takes a large cup of coffee and a few hours to shake that feeling, but I’ve become use to it, it’s the price I have to pay to get some sleep.

1 Like

I’m sorry that you are still struggling with your sleep. Does your pdoc knows why it still haven’t improved?
I’m happy to hear, that there is a solution for you with the clonazepam.
I have just decided that I will stay on the olanzapine, and then do something about my lifestyle like eat healthy and exercise. I will have to wait until my pdoc supports that I’m getting off the olanzapine.
No for me zolpiclone has No side effects, somebody think you get sleepy but compared to the olanzapine it is nothing.

1 Like

Thanks for your sympathies, No, my pdoc doesn’t know why my sleep hasn’t improved.I can only go by what I’ve read online, other peoples experiences, and there are people still complaining about insomnia after a year or two after quitting. One guy said he didn’t start sleeping for 2.5 years,and even then it wasn’t completely back to normal. So I suspect I am in this for the long haul.

Yeah, I tried a bunch of other meds and supplements to sleep, I didn’t want to go the benzo route but in the end it was the only thing that worked satisfactorily.

Sorry to hear your attempt to quit didn’t go the way you wanted. Olanzapine is known for metabolic side effects but you are on a low dose so with the right diet and exercise you should be able to manage “good enough”. My doctor said I was at a risk for an early death so I was in a really bad situation on it, but i was on an insanely high dose (40mg)

That’s good to hear, it’s always nice when you find a medication without side effects. That is what Lurasidone is like for me. It prevents my psychosis and I don’t have any side effects.

If my Duloxetine didn’t work for insomnia, I would have considered taking Olanzapine again.
When I was on no psychiatric medicine for a couple of weeks, because I was taking Quetiapine and Fluoxetine, and changing to Duloxetine. All I did was think about the best way to commit suicide.
I never found Zolpiclone much use, Zolpidem works much better, but can cause people to do strange things while they are sleeping, anyway I can not get any of the Z-drug sleeping pills prescribed more than 7 days at a time.

2 Likes

I had the opposite experience. I tried 10mg of zolpidem and developed a tolerance after about 3 days, it just stopped working, and it only put me to sleep for 4 hours. However for the few days I did sleep, I didn’t have any abnormal sleep behaviours like sleep walking or whatever.

I took Zopiclone every night, 7.5mg for a month, and it worked every time, no tolerance issues or weird sleep behaviours, but it only put me to sleep for about 5 hours and that wasn’t good enough so I switched to 1.5mg of clonazepam.