Off Olanzapine for months

I’ve been off of olanzapine for a while now, and wanted to share my experience. If this is recommended to you, I wouldn’t take it unless you’re 100% aware of the side affects; I gained like 15 pounds in a month. It was helpful with symptoms, but there were other side effects that weren’t worth it. I’ve been off medication and have dealt with psychosis by myself ever since. Has anyone else been on it?

5 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever tried it. I’m on clozapine. I gained like 100 pounds on it. No joke. Very frustrating

1 Like

Good and bad.
Fifteen.

Olanzapine didn’t work for me. Risperdal works now at 4mg.

2 Likes

Yeah Zyprexa didn’t work for me either.

2 Likes

im on zyprexa since 2000, lost 6 stone twice, in that time…now i need to lose 6 stone again

I’ve been on olanzapine since 1997. I’ve gained weight but I didn’t blimp out. The weight I gained fits my frame. I’m not overly concerned about it. I’d rather not experience psychosis again. I have no problem taking it. Of all the meds I’ve tried olanzapine had to the most tolerable side effects.

3 Likes

How can you live without medication. Im very curious?. Because I want to do that too. Im over medicated now :frowning:

same here my mind is more important than my body

1 Like

I’m on Olanzapine, it helps lower my paranoia. I have gained weight on it though.

I’ve been on 1.25 mg of Zyprexa since spring of 1997. Except for a big mistake that I won’t go in to.
It makes my cholesterol go high. I’ve tried several other aps since then but they had terrible side effects.

1 Like

You stable on that? Min sz dose for Zyprexa is 10mg.

1 Like

Well I hope I’m stable considering I’ve been on the same dose for over 20 years.lol

3 Likes

Your problem isn’t medication it’s that you’re over medicated. You need to except the fact that you might need medication for life. I’ve got schizophrenia 25 years ago. The more times you stop medication and have a psychotic break the harder it is to recover. Stability is key to over coming this illness. I’m on 10 mgs of Zyprexa. I decided way back in 1997 that if I was going to take meds it would have to be on a dose I could function. It took me about 5 years to recover. A common mistake doctors make is too high of a dose. Patients feel over medicated and want to stop their meds. The reason doctors prescribe too high of a dose is they want results fast. I decided that if I was going to take medication for life it was going to be on my terms and it had to be at a level I could handle.

4 Likes

Then maybe you can be stable without meds. 1mg Zyprexa is like a sugar pill.

1 Like

yes i think your right but i hope my doctor lowers my dosage.

1 Like

I’m on 3,75mg of olanzapine and I’m still fine. I didn’t told my psychiatrist yet. The dose the psychiatrist gives me is 7,5mg but I split that in half because I think 7,5mg is too much.
I’ve been stable for more than a month now on 3,75mg

2 Likes

I was on this med for awhile but it gave me terrible Parkinson’s symptoms.

My mom is on it 20mg, she gained 5-10kg in one year but it is working very well.

2 Likes

When I took a higher dose of olanzapine on its own (about 10mg or more) it made me pick up weight and feel dead like a zombie

On a lower dose now (5mg) along with 200mg amisulpride and it’s more effective that way

Lower than 5mg or 2,5mg it doesn’t work well enough and I get depression and mood swings. I’m on lamotrigine as well to stabilise moods and especially depression

2 Likes